1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

suggestions for increased towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 11:35 PM
mkstang351
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggestions for increased towing capacity

i will be using my '93 v6 dakota sport for haulin around my race car, and I was wondering what anyone would suggest to make it a better hauling truck. any ideas? im looking at monroe rear towing shocks and a suspension helper kit. any other suggestions?

Old 01-30-2006, 12:40 AM
badassxr50r
Default RE: suggestions for increased towing capacity

um some stronger leaf springs... a lil more power exhaust, intake, computer, ect. i dont know much about dakota's yet but yeah thats what i would say to help... u could even if u had the money to do a motor swap like a 318 or 360...

Old 01-30-2006, 01:04 AM
mkstang351

i would do the engine swap, but most of my money goes towards the race car. i might open up the exhaust. i thing jegs actually has a kit. do u suggest any products in peticular?

Old 01-30-2006, 01:58 AM
badassxr50r

well since i dont know much about dakotas yet... my .02cents would be just get a exhaust from a well known company magnaflow, flowmaster, ect.. as for suspention um u could try jcwhitney cuz i got some stronger leaf's from them for my 77 aspen but there are prolly companys that have kits to do it... i would also get prothane bushings all around to stiffen up the suspention and make it more stable. also look into some gears for the rearend like some 3.55 gears... btw how much weight are u wanting to tow like car trail tool's extra tires all that combined???

Old 02-03-2006, 02:19 AM
360DakotaPwr
Veteran

Exhaust is great, but don't let your race car knowledge guide you. The V6 responds totally different to opened up exhaust than the V8 motors. You will need sufficient back pressure to keep your low end torque. The dakota isn't really a tow vehicle to begin with. Everything is small and light duty, to be towing a whole other vehicle. If you really plan on doing so, I would suggest a suspension helper for the car trailer. Its pretty wild how they work. I dont have a brand or site for it, but you have probably seen them on some larger rigs at your race track. There are two steel bars that run from the receiver in the hitch to about mid- way down the trailer tounge on either side. The connect to the trailer by adjustable chains, I dont know the science behind it but I know it works. You will have to research it if you are interested. Good Luck.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the truck you're hauling with is an automatic, consider getting it rebuilt with better clutches and a new front pump. As well as a better cooler. The auto trannies in these trucks are the weakest link. You might also want to consider just adding a leaf to the spring pack too. Or you might consider air bags on the back because they will allow you to use them as levelers as well as stiffeners when the trailer is connected. Just some rambling thoughts---

Old 02-06-2006, 03:21 AM
mkstang351

well, thanks for the replies guys. the tranny is the 5 speed. ill probably open up the exhaust, maybe a new cam, and some springs.

Quick Reply: suggestions for increased towing capacity