1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

(95 Dakota R/T?????????)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 03:18 AM
95r/t
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (95 Dakota R/T?????????)

I am about to start a project on my 95 dakota and i am going to put a 5.9 in it and make it a r/t. I was wondering if any one has done this yet and i have a 4 cylinder in it right know and just want a few suggestions on what i should do. Thanks.

Jake

Old 02-09-2006, 11:55 PM
JDakota92
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: (95 Dakota R/T?????????)

You'll need a new tranny, ECM, upgraded suspension, brakes, drive shaft,

That's a swap I want to do to my '92. It already has the 5.2 in it so the conversion isn't as complicated. That'll be one nice truck when your done.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:47 AM
stantheman
Professional

got an actual 99 r/t motor im about to put in my 96. buying the mopar performance computer from a friend, and all i have left for the motor is the wiring harness. i think my 3.9 is about to take a dump a little too early so im gonna have to use my 5 speed for a short time and keep my foot out of it. not sure of the 4 cylinder motor mount set up though.
if you buy a reg 5.9 you will have to buy a r/t cam and lifter set and a high performance comp. unless you chip it after that you will have to run 93 octane or you will get a lot of pinging. your best bet would be to find a wrecked r/t dakota or durango and buy up whatever you can. i was lucky and got mine because someone spun a bearing in theirs after they bought it. they brought it back and we put another motor in it. all i had to do was buy a crank and got a double roller timing chain.
i also jumped the gun and bought a carbed intake from mopar perfom. cuz i thougt a the time it would be too expensive to buy a comp and all the rest of the stuff. i know better now, but am stuck with the intake. oh well, the intake is for sale if ya know of anyone.
good luck!

Old 02-10-2006, 09:24 PM
360DakotaPwr
Veteran

You dont have to buy any engine parts for the 5.9L A 5.9L is a 5.9L. The ones that come in the RT Dakotas are the same ones that come in a dodge ram. RT just means its got a 5.9 probably bigger rear axle with sway bar, higher gear ratio. Bla Bla Bla.

Anyway, the swap isnt hard, I just did it. Finding a V8 harness is really hard. Get a V6 harness. The only difference is four wires, (no big deal, add them in) Run it on a 94 or 95 dodge ram computer. The 5.2 computer for your year will run a 5.9 fine. You just may prefer the 5.9 computer. Its a matter of how you tune it. A stock brain box just gets you runnin. If you wanna go fast, you gotta pay to play. Aftermarket electrical will keep it runnin smooth if you do any major mods. With a 4cyl, your gonna need V6 or V8 motor brackets and mounts for the frame. A well built V6 tranny will hold. (YES IT WILL, I HAVE ONE and I beat the hell out of it.) WELL BUILT, not expensive with fancy parts, just well built. Or go 5 speed, its your choice.

Check you driveshaft length. Its probably not going to fit. You will want to run the lowest mileage motor you can find of course. If this is the case, and its a 96 or newer I THINK, one of these years. The flexplates went to a 90 degree bolt pattern to bolt to the torque converter (for automatics) If you use a late model engine and your early style tranns, you will either need to find an early style flexplate, or change the front pump gears in the tranny to 96 up stuff so you can use a late model converter that will bolt up to your late model flexplate that is all gonna fit inside your early model tranny. IF you do go late model motor on an early V6 tranns, there is a small spot to grind on the block, (NO BIGGIE), for starter clearance. We can go into details on this later if anyone is curious. The V8 trans will not give you this problem, because the starter is in a different place and it will fit fine.

You dont need new brakes, I think my interchange shows v6 and 4cly front springs to be the same. The V8 springs are listed differently. IF the 4 and 6 springs are the same you dont need new ones. It will ride just fine and you will probably discover that you will like the way it handles better. You will need a bigger radiator. V6 and V8 are the same. Clutch fan too, or wire an electric fan to get more HP. If so, get a 120 amp alternator instead of the normal 90 amp ones.

There is probably more, but If you need to know anything else, PM or email me.

Last or all, GOOD LUCK, its not that bad.

Quick Reply: (95 Dakota R/T?????????)