1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Water in the exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 08:32 PM
BajaDak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in the exhaust!

Alright it all started after my 90 2.5l dakota overheated. Did not see it coming due to my gauges being out (in the middle of replacing the dash). Perfect timing. The radiater cracked and leaked water out untill it went dry, apparently from what I can see that is all that caused the overheating. Patched Radiator for a quick fix untill i can fix with a new radiator this weekend. Seal was good but as i walked around my truck while idling very rough and puddering a bit i notice water spiting out of the exhaust, not spuing, or running out, just lil buffs and drips( but steady enough to worry.) Could this be a result of just a blown head gasket, or worse. Cracked cyclinder head? Any ideas or post would be great being im 17 and kinda short on cash. Im lookin at a trip to the junkyard, and a for sure gasket change.. Thanks a lot

Old 04-06-2006, 11:27 AM
dak3.9
Veteran
Default RE: Water in the exhaust!

It's most likely your head gasket. Same thing happened to my buddy's truck and it was JUST his head gasket. It might or might not be the same thing for you.

Old 04-13-2006, 04:56 AM
JDakota92
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the oil dipstick. Is it milky? If so, head gasket is toast. Not surprising after overheating. Clear water out the exhaust is normal. Is it puffing white smoke too?

Old 06-14-2006, 09:06 PM
truckin318

I don't think i've owned a vehichle that didn't sputter out of the exuast

Old 06-27-2006, 03:13 AM
bdodge_445

yes the water could be due to a blow head gasket or cracked head as well as a more severe cracked cylider wall, but unlikely depending on how long you've driven it while it was over heating. it is most likely a blown head gasket that will need to be replaced. DO NOT DRIVE IT UNTILL IT IS FIXED. If you do then the water can spin bearings and you would have to rebuild the entire motor, quite spendy. you'll have to pull the head and get it resurfaced and checked for cracks at a local machine shop. that would cost about 50-75 bucks you'll have to order another gasket set which is about another 50-75 bucks. If you do it yourself and it's just a blown gasket it should only cost about 200 bucks, not including what it takes to fix its overheating. the water is probably coming from it leaking into the compression chamber and out the exhaust valves. once again if you drive it while its leaking water into the cylinders or oil then it will cause all kinds of problems, and it would probably be cheaper to buy a new vehicle then rebiuld and old dak, unless you dont drive it and fix the head gasket.

Quick Reply: Water in the exhaust!