1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

o/d and speedometer not working 95 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 12:20 PM
m59racer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o/d and speedometer not working 95 4x4

Hi everyone. I am a new owner of a used Dakota 4x4 3.9l auto 95. The speedometer dosen't work, and it doesn't go into overdrive. I did a search and found that it may possibly be the speedo cable. The question is, is the speedometer mechanical or electrical. I was told that there are both on the Dakota... Before I crawl into this, I would like to know a little more info as to this question, and if there is possible some other problem.

Thanks,

Richard McCain...

Old 04-17-2006, 04:47 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: o/d and speedometer not working 95 4x4

Well, I know they change stuff from year to year, but, according to the book, my 96 Dakotas speedometer is controlled by an electrical signal. (And I can atest to that because on the rear of the instrument panel, there are only two connectors of wires, no cables or anything)
You might want to ask some mechanices about it, and, maybe see if you can get them to scan it.
On Napas website, I found two vehicle speed sensors, $28 and $35.
It doesn't sound too hard to replace, pretty much disconnct connector, remove a bolt, and swap out... of course, who knows where its actually located at.
Let us know what ya find out tho.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:32 AM
m59racer

UPDATE!

Talked to a mechanic friend and the dodge counter person and both agreed that the Vehicle Speed Sensor was shot. So I bought one and put it in. 50 dollars down the drain. Did not fix the problem. I have the Haynes manual for the Dakota and it was basically useless. I paid for a subscription to AllData and found a wealth of information. In following the trouble shooting chart, I was able to diagnose the problem and fix it. The driven gear adapter in the transfer case was indexed wrong and was not meshing with the internal gears of the transfer case. Free fix. I now have speedometer, odometer, trip meter and cruise control back with no CEL coming on. YEAH

But, I don't think overdrive is working yet. Anybody know what RPM it should be turning in 4th gear at say about 55 mph?

Old 05-01-2006, 01:16 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

I think mine shifted at about 45mph at around 2700. So at about 55mph I would say 2900-3000. It's been a few years. But thanks for the update!

Quick Reply: o/d and speedometer not working 95 4x4