1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

front brakes/ ABS

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 06:02 PM
syager79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front brakes/ ABS

hey everyone, i was just wondering if anyone has had experience working on the front brakes of a dodge dakota, 1996. I have a warning light that states that my e-brake is on, and the ABS light is on. i just replaced the pads yesterday, but on the way to work, the front brakes smoked and smelled of burnt rubber. any ideas?

Old 06-28-2006, 01:47 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: front brakes/ ABS

I'm not familiar with (and also not a fan of) ABS. My knowledge is zero (except that I know the planes I work on have what is essentially ABS). So, saying that:
The shop manual says:
"When a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) is generated, the brake warning lamp and ABS warning lamp are illuminated. To retrieve a DTC place the ignition key in the RUN position. Than momentairily ground pin 13 of the Data Link Connector (picture provided, tne DLC is found close to the hood release and parking brake). When the ground is removed the ABS and Brake Warning Lamp will begin to flash.
The inital flash will be a long flash followed by one or more short flashes. The long flash indicates the beginning of the DTC number. The short flashes are a continuation of the DTC number. You must count the long flash and short flashes for an accurate trouble code number. When the DTC has been retrived compare it to the DTC Code Chart.
There may be a problem if the brake warning lamp and/or ABS lamp:
[ul][*] does not come on[*] is on all of the time[*] flashes incorrectly"
[/ul]

Retrive the codes, post them back.
As far as the smell of brunt rubber and smoking brakes, I don't know. I have not replaced the brakes on my Dakota yet (it'll be coming in about a month, though), so I don't know what all is involved. I would recommend just taking the wheel, caliper, and pads off, and look at everything closely (any damage to the pads, rotors, check the brake lines for anything, etc.). Spray everything down with brake cleaner, reassemble carefully, and see what happens.

[IMG]local://upfiles/948/2EF7A20B1B22455D841A9726BCB4215C.gif[/IMG]

Old 06-28-2006, 01:58 PM
syager79

is that DTC thing the same thing as the diagnostic test i can run by switching the ignition on and off several times? or is that a different diagnostic specially for the ABS?

Old 06-28-2006, 02:02 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope. The ignition swtich "on-off-on-off-on" tests the computer (PCM), not the ABS computer.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Sneezer
Professional

If both those lights are lit, it means there is a problem in the system, and it is not always ABS related. On mine it would happen with excessive pedal travel due to low fluid, air in the lines or improperly adjusted brakes.

Check your front calipers. Have they ever been lubed when swapping pads? They can get stuck which may explain the burnt smell. Also check the rear drums for proper adjustment. Most people when changing the rears just swap shoes and hardware and never take the time to properly adjust them.

Quick Reply: front brakes/ ABS