1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

360 swap problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 03:31 AM
Sneezer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 360 swap problems

I got my 360 in and the old 318 out. However, I ran into a snag. Searching the forums it appears that I may need to replace the transmission oil pump gears. Looking for some confirmation.

I have a 360 out of a 2000 Durango and the attached flexplate. I bought a MP TC to match up to it, as it would not bolt onto my existing one. Got everything in and got no gears. No grinding noises, etc either. I ran across one post that mentioned the teeth changed for 96+ trucks, thus my 92 spec tranny will not properly mate with the TC. I am hoping to drop the tranny this weekend and check.

I checked some part numbers, and the front pump oil seal is different between the 92-95 518/46rh and the 96+. In fact, the 96+ interchanges with the 24, 44 and 46 transmissions. Any suggestions on how/where to get the gears to swap into my tranny? Everywhere I looked either does not sell the pump or gears. As far as I can tell the only way to get them is to buy a new pump from the dealer for $600, or a junked tranny for a couple hundred from a junkyard.

Will the gears interchange between 42/44/46 and my 92 spec 518? If I found a pump from a 42re could I pull the gears off it and use them, or is the shaft a different size?

Of course this is all assuming that this is my problem.

Quick Reply: 360 swap problems