1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

96 Radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 02:51 PM
adamwmc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Radio

The Radio in my 96 dakota has quit working. The clock dosnt even come on. I have replaced the fuse (which was not blown) and it still wont work. Does any one have any ideas?

Thanks,
Adam

Old 10-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 96 Radio

my truck did the same thing, look under the hood in those fuses and there should be a 5 amp fuse blown. If yout dome light is not working to this is the problem. THe owners manual say it is for interior lights and power mirrors? Just another screwup by dodge, LOL.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:58 AM
adamwmc

My dome light is working fine, I think it might be a connection in the radio and it looks like Im going to have to get a new one, I havn't pulled it out yet but I have that feeling. I'm probably going to try one of those salvage yards where you pull the parts you need from a "graveyard" of junked cars. I need a few light covers as well, which raises the question...What other dodge models have the same factory AM/FM cassette player that the 1996 dakota has? Id like this info, just in case they dont have one from a Dakota. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:53 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The radios were pretty much the same across all Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth platforms during that time. Things were actually simple back than! (). Anything from probably the 80s to the mid-90's should be about the same. (Just make sure the connectors are the same )

Old 10-14-2006, 10:42 PM
erock92kota
Professional

From what I have seen from my car stereo installer days, just about all the chrysler radios are the same shape from the 80's thru to early 2000's. Some times the connectors are reversed as far as location goes, but they are the same plugs and work just fine.

In most cases it is cheaper to go to wal mart and buy an aftermarket radio and the adaptor kits then to purchase a factory radio. You may find one at a boneyard. Another place to try would be a local car stereo shoppe. Sometimes they have some factory radios laying around,( We always did), and they would be more then happy to get rid of them.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: 96 Radio