1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

tranny trouble!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 10:30 PM
93kota4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny trouble!

my 93 dakota 4x4 has reverse and 1 forward gear but will not shift...my question is are these trannies electronically shifted and if so is it possible that mine is in "limp mode"?....If this is the case does anyone know an approximate cost to replace the computer on the tranny or is a junkyard piece an option?...any help is appreciated!

Old 10-14-2006, 04:24 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: tranny trouble!

How does the transmission fluid level look, how does the fluid itself look, smell, etc.? Refer to this page for how to properly check your transmission fluid. (Note: add ONLY ATF+(3 or 4) transmission fluid Do NOT use Dexron or Mercon.
If you needed to adjust the transmission fluid level, drive the truck again to verify if problem was solved.
After a certain year (I'm not sure, but I think starting with 1996 model years), they went to an electronically controled transmission. To be on the safe side, just do the following: Go here for instructions on how to retrive diagnostic codes. Record the codes. Than, disconnect the battery negative cable for at least 5 minutes. Than, reconnect it. Start the truck up and see if maybe that solved the problem.

Other possible causes are:
-Governor valve, shaft, weights or body (governor assembly) damaged/stuck
-Valve body malfunction
-Front servo/kickdown band damaged/burned
-Incorrect gearshift control linkage adjustment
-Incorrect throttle linkage
-Hydraulic pressure too low (perhaps a clogged filter, could also refer to one of the above listed items too)

Quick Reply: tranny trouble!