1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 04:35 PM
DukeSupes
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions

First question is whenever I drive down a bumpy road you can hear a bumping noise coming from underneath the cab so I look underneath and the tail end of the transmission was rubbing on the cross member and it looks like its because of the rear motor mount is squashed down. Should I replace the motor mount?

Second, I have heard of this happening to a friend of mine but I have never experienced this. When the engine is running and the engine is cold the upper radiator hose will start to collapse in on itself. I asked my friend what he did and he said that he just replaced the hose and it never happened again. I called my local dealership and they said that it was fine and it will do that from time to time. For no more than the price of a new hose, should I replace it?

Third, From time to time when I shift the truck into gear it will make that awful "chun..CHUNG" noise as if a u-joint is going out. I had a guy look at it and he looked at the drive shaft and moved it around some and said that the u-joints seem to be stable and secure with little slack in them. He rattled of some other things that it could be. Is there any sure way to tell if it is the u-joints?

My thanks to all that reply.
Kevin

Old 10-31-2006, 04:44 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: A few questions

it could be your tranny mount. and when you put it into gear and hear a clunk and your u joints are goodn then thats probly cause of your tranny mount.
________
MARYJANE

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:15 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: A few questions

1,3) I agree with jonnymagnum. The clunking is usually caused by bad mounts.
2) The hose is bad if its collapsing on itself. When they get older and loose their strength, its what they do. So a new hose will fix her right up.

Quick Reply: A few questions