1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

HEADUNIT QUESTION?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:45 PM
khanley8604
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEADUNIT QUESTION?

alrite i am new to this forum. i am a member of the GAOC, grand am owners club forum, but my dad has a dakota and i need some help here. I searched to try and find my answer without posting, but couldnt find anything. My dad needs to put a new headunit in his truck i believe he has a 95. theres already an aftermarket stereo in there. i know how to wire in all that, as i did it to every car i've owned, but i am having trouble with actually taking the stereo out of his truck. from the looks of it you have to take the whole front part of the dash off, which is from the drivers side window to the middle of the dash, am i correct? That is where i ran into a problem because the dash somewhat wraps around the steering column and i didnt want to risk breaking it if i was doing it wrong. Can someone please give me some guidance for if i am correct nad was doing it right, or if I am wrong how do you go about getting to the stereo.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:53 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Headunit question?

the dash trim is held on there with screws. just take all the screws out and put your shifter down to first and the dash trim should pull right out.

________
Harmed By Wellbutrin

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:37 AM
Mr_Shorty
Rookie
Default RE: HEADUNIT QUESTION?

Also if it has tilt steering, it made it easier on me to put the steering wheel as low as it will go.

Later Daze,
Shorty

Old 12-13-2006, 11:56 AM
khanley8604

haha oops. i new about the screws, but i think the reason it was getting caught on the steering wheel was because it was tilted almost all the way up since my dad has it like that. im just use to my grand am, just pull off the trim and your there, haha. ill have to try that over xmas break when i get free time. thanks for the help guys!

Old 12-14-2006, 12:13 AM
Mr_Shorty
Rookie

Glad to be able to help...

Later Daze,
Shorty

Quick Reply: HEADUNIT QUESTION?