1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

ABS system

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 06:05 PM
rajah86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS system

Hello,
I own a stock 94 Dakota SLT with a V6 and 175,000 original miles. I have had the same issues with the ABS and Brake lights remaining on. I will try some of the fixes listed in other posts when I have time this weekend. My wife noticed the ABS and brake light on while I was on deployment and she was having some trouble with the brakes so she had the brakes worked on. They did work on the brakes but she doesn't remember all the work done or where the paperwork is. My question is about the relays and fuses for the ABS system. I was checking the electrical distribution center and according to the diagram on the cover there is supposed to be a relay in there. Also according to my owners manual there is a fuse listed for the ABS on the fuse panel. On my truck there are no fuses or relays in the places shown in the owners manual or diagram.My question is: Are the relays and fuses supposed to be there and the shop possibly forgot to put them back or are the spaces supposed to be empty? If someone who has a similar make model could look and let me know if yours has them I would appreciate the help.

Thanks

Old 12-23-2006, 07:26 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: ABS system

Let me clear up some confusion for you:
As you know, you have ABS. However, there was two types of ABS. Rear wheel ABS (standard) and All wheel ABS (optional). A really quick way to tell the differance is to pop the hood. If you have an ABS module located in front of the windshield washer reservior, than you have all wheel ABS (see picture, in the picture, there is no module, and thus, just rear wheel ABS).

The rear wheel ABS does not get its power from the relay or the dedicated ABS fuse (when I bought my truck I thought the same thing, "Sure is weird that relay and fuse is missing," I think they could have labeled it a little better). The rear wheel ABS module (located inside thepeople compartment, passenger side, near the floor in front of the door, behind carpet and such), is provided power via the same fuse for the stop lights (hot at all times), and turn signals (hot only when the key is on).

As you probably read, a common reason those lights come on is because the rear wheel speed sensor (located on the rear diff) goes bad or whatever.
Anyways, hope this cleared up some confusion. If you have more questions, feel free to ask, and let us know what ya find out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/948/ED352128DB4A46859FB7805FEDE5CF68.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2007, 12:42 AM
rajah86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ABS system

Thanks for the help. I fixed the problem with the lights staying on by disconnecting the battery for awhile and re-connecting it. I needed to clean the posts and terminals anyway. I also checked the OBD and got a 55 error code so everything is working good so far. I also discovered that I have rear ABS only. Now I just need to figure out why my driverside headlight isnt working. I have already replaced the bulb and checked that both filiaments are good. High beam works but not the low beam. Guess I need to do some more troubleshooting.

Thanks again, I have been meaning to post sooner but have been busy. This forum is great. I have learned alot by reading it.

Quick Reply: ABS system