1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 Dakota keeps cutting out.. Why

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 09:53 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 95 Dakota keeps cutting out.. Why

Also keep in mind
that as the fuel pump submerged in the gas tank
begins to go bad
it will trip its internal circuit breaker
and suddenly shut down
causing the engine to suddenly stumble
and barely run at idle.

If just turning off the engine for about 10 minutes
cures the problem and the engine begins running
right for another 1-3 hours
before suddenly dying again.....suspect the fuel pump.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:34 PM
socalrws
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HankL

The fuelpump was replaced about 30-40k miles ago.
I didn't know they had a circuit breaker built-in. How do they reset if breaker is tripped? Time?
Is the cb for when the gastank gets too low and the fuelpump doesn't stay cooled by the liquid?

BTW, the fuel gage sender unit is part of the FP assembly. You don't get a new one with the FP assembly so you have to use the old one. After a couple weeks the gas gage doesn't work, andit now reads empty all the time.

If the truck is driven daily, the problem doesn't happen much.
If it sits a few days, it usually goes into the missing plug scenario, then driving it til the temp gage show its in the normal zone, turning it off and restarting the motor, the problem is gone. Many times r&r the Ign wire from the coil, does the trick too. Just curious to know why.

I will try to get fault codes. Last time I tried the key on-off bit, nothing happened, no flashing of eng light. This time I will start with it 'on' and cycle itthree times.

Do smog test results help define components that are not working right?

Old 02-08-2007, 06:37 PM
shovlhead56

I have a 92 and mine was doing the same thing.There are 3 diferent 3 wire slices in the big wrapped wiring harness near the PCM.Lots of untaping to find them.When you find them redo the splices.You may need to replace the computer because if this has been going on long enough it will knock the computer out.I replaced the computer in mine first and it took care of the problem for awhile then it started again.I found out about the splices too late.I redid the splices then replaced the computer and haven't had a problem since.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:59 AM
socalrws

RE: Go here and check what codes the PCM is throwing. This will probably help a lot.
Just pull the codes (when you post them up here, make sure you post the numbers because there can be more than one code for any given item), and we'll work from there.

I pulled codes, they were 12, 27 and 55.

What do they mean?

RE:There are 3 diferent 3 wire slices in the big wrapped wiring harness near the PCM

What are wire slices?

Thanks all.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:33 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

12 Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles

27 Injector control circuit

55 end of codes

Old 02-10-2007, 03:24 PM
socalrws

OK I already knew what the 12, 27 code read from the link. But how do I correct ? What do I check to see if it needs replacing?

Old 02-26-2007, 01:19 AM
ccbulldogfan

i just bought a 95 Dakota today. It has e 4 cyl and i have found the following codes.....12-41-22-25-22-35-42.........................any suggestions ? ? ? ? ?

Old 03-15-2007, 02:16 PM
novablue69
Default I HAVE NO Y CHROMOSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no Y chromosome...does that disqualify me from asking questions? I hope not. I (we...my husband is the "service tech" here and the pay is LOUSY). Anyway....1988 Dodge Dakota v6 70,000 original miles. Started running real rough a few months ago; it obviously is some kind of carbueration problem. Had to take it to a REAL service tech. He replace one side of the little squirter thingys that shoot the gas into wherever it is supposed to go. He said if that did not take care of it....we should suspect the MAP sensor. Ok...it was fine for a while but now it is BAD. It starts fine, runs rough, warming it up does not help.But then the NEXT day it might be fine.Now it is having more bad days than good.When you press on accelerator it kind of stalls out and I have found fluttering the accelerator sometimes helps. But then all of a sudden you will be driving along...and all by itself it will just shoot you forward like it was jet propelled or something!. Went to the auto parts store yesterday and they showed me a MAP sensor on the computer. BUT ....it seems like this could be about 10 other things as well. ANY SUGGESTIONS so I don't have to pay more trying out various parts than I paid for the truck???? And just in case....where IS the MAP sensor?

Quick Reply: 95 Dakota keeps cutting out.. Why