1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1990 Dak No Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 06:07 PM
RioD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Dak No Start

Been having long term problems with this truck producing a spark. Was driving along one day and the truck just died, checked for spark and didnt have any so I ran down to the store and picked up a coil installed it and it started right up I drove it down the block and it died again. Somehow i figured out that if i unplug the computer and plug it back in it would start again. This worked for a few months and i eventually replaced the distributor. It started right up on the first try. I didnt drive it for about a week but came out every morning and started it up just to make sure that it was still working. After i felt comfortable that it would work again I drove it to work. Sure enough cruising along on the highway and poof it died. Unplugged the computer and plugged it back in and it started. It died about 10 more times on the way home in a freaking blizzard and eventually the ol unplug and plug stopped working so i had to walk and damn near died because of this truck. I have no idea where to go with this truck. Replaced the coil again, cap rotor wires plugs, new distributor, peeled off all the tape on the wires under hood and couldnt find a single one that was bad. Any help whatsoever would be appreciated. Also I checked the codes and got a 1.1 and 1.2(No distributor input signal and Memory stadby power lost) V6 Auto

Old 02-04-2007, 07:28 PM
91dakota2wd
Default RE: 1990 Dak No Start

I'm dealing with this type of problem with my neighbors 88 dakota V6 auto 2wd. It sure is a pain in the butt. Just this past summer/fall I was doing the same run around with a 1990 V6 4wd stick truck. That one ended up being the hall effect pickup thing in the distributor.(the pointless ignition). The current 88 truck I'm messing with isn't getting voltage on the red wire to the ASD relay connection. Plus the Blue/Yellow wire isn't grounding the relay to activate it. I feel your pain

Old 02-04-2007, 08:05 PM
RioD

Well I checked to see if the problem was the same as yours apparently it isnt I am getting power to the asd relay

Old 02-04-2007, 08:49 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You mentioned you replaced the distributor, but made no specific mention of replacing the camshaft position sensor, which is the item located in the distributor that has electrical wires connected to it.
However, before you replace that, I would make sure the wires going to and from it are in good condition, and all the connections are good (no bent pins, corrosion, etc)
Voltage is supplies to the sensor when the engine is cranking or running. It is supplied via the orange wire (which originates from terminal 7 of the computer.) A ground path is provided via the black/light lbue wire (which goes to terminal 4 of the computer) The signal is sent via the gray wire (which goes to terminal 24 of the computer).
You can do a continuity test to see if the wires are good.
If that all checks out ok, I say its a bad camshaft position sensor (hall pick-up device, and distributor pick-up are other names for it).

Old 02-05-2007, 02:26 AM
RioD

When i purchased the new distributor it had a new pick-up in it. According to the napa that i purchased the distributor from i couldnt just buy the pick-up alone which im not necessarily sure is true but whatever i figured it wouldnt hurt to just pick up a whole new unit. Ill try and check it in the morning according to the Haynes manual and post results. Ok so this brings me to the question I dont want to ask but I'm a moron so what the heck. How wouldI proceed to doing a continuity check?

Old 02-05-2007, 05:42 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can use an ohmmeter or a multimeter for this.
Your looking for resistance in the wiring. In this case, you want as little resistance as possible.

Quick Reply: 1990 Dak No Start