1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 Dakota 4x4 problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 08:47 AM
DevilScorpio
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Dakota 4x4 problems

I bought a 93 4x4 318 a week ago. The transmission brace had been broken and instead of fixing it when they took it off, they strapped the tranny in place. When you drove it, it would shake really bad. I made a new plate and put it on and that took care of the shake. Now my problem is while you are driving it will try to engage in 4 high. When it does engage it is hard to get back to 2 high. I have to stop and shift to nuetral and engage 4 low, put it in drive, back to nuetral, then it finally goes back into 2 high. But after awhile it tries to go into 4 high again. There is also a clacking sound when this happens, and a squeal/whine whenI go to stop or turn. Also in 4 high or low it will disengage to nuetral on its own. My indicator light doesn't seem to work, I don't even know where it is located. Is it by the shifter or on the dash?Any ideas on what the problem could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:17 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 93 Dakota 4x4 problems

I would try and adjust your linkages. probly when the idiot just strapped the tranny down. it shifted enough and either bent something or made it out of ailignment.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:55 PM
DevilScorpio
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 93 Dakota 4x4 problems

I was thinking the same thing. I found the problem with the 4x4 indicator, bad bulb. I'll get a new one and maybe I'll have a warning before it just jumps in 4 wheel high. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: 93 Dakota 4x4 problems