1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Anyone with experience cutting springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Colorado05
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with experience cutting springs

OK first off this is not something I would typically do. However I have a 92 dakota and want to lower the front. I have 3" blocks in the rear and want to drop the front about another 1 to 2". I have to replace the ball joints this weekend so I figured what better time to hack it up.

Now a little background this is a beater truck only for getting me back and forth to work, only paid like 1500 for her and dont plan to keep her for a real long time.

I was thinking of taking off one coil, but not sure if that would get me where I want to be. And since I dont have the tools to cut them at home I have to disassmble them at home and take them to work to cut them, so I am shooting for 1 trip and get it clost to right.

Any advice would be great. Also anyone with experience replacing inner tie rod ends would be nice also on a 2wd w/ rack and pinion steering.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:47 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anyone with experience cutting springs

I cut my coils. I just took them out and cut them with a chop saw.

as far as tierod ends go. it's pretty easy. I would lube them up really good before you try and loosen them off. first you have to take the cotter pin off of the castle nut at the top of the tie rod. then take the castle nut off. it might come off easy, but if it was anything like mine. I had to cut the whole tie rod off cause it was soo rusty. but if it does come out nice, make sure to leave the tierod in it's spot for now, then back off the nut where the tie rod is screwed onto the rack arm. then bash the tie rod outta the spindle. now yo can turn the tie rod and unscrew it off of the rack arm. and to install the new one, just screw it back on and put it close to where it was before. ( I forgot to mention to mark off where the origional tie rod went) and put it up in the hole in the spindle and put on the castle nut and tighten it down.

I dont know if I missed anything there or not. if you have anymore questions, just ask

Old 03-05-2007, 11:24 PM
erock92kota
Professional

Cutting the spring is ok if you do it correctly. I have read this somewhere on the interweb......I believe on the dsm forums.(yeah I get on there too since I have a 93 talon as well) I have also seen a few people pull this off with descent results. The factory springs were made to handle the weight of the vehicle sitting on them. So the rate is presumably perfect. Sure you can buy stiffer springs that are shorter, but unless you plan on racing or doing some hard cornering...theres really no point. Just make sure you match up your cuts by measuring around the coil with a tape measure. Be sure to trim your bumpstops and make sure your suspension arms move freely for the full lenght of their travel. Otherwise it could mess with your ride quality and make your truck feel kind of wonky. Also you may want to aquire some shorter shocks for your drop since your stockers will loose some of their dampening ability since they are that much further compressed. As far as how much to cut off the springs is perfect..... I couldnt tell ya.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Colorado05
Rookie

Cool guys thanks for the info, I took it by a shop today and all I need to replace are the inner tie rod ends so that save me a little $$. But I will still go ahead and hack at least 1 coil off for now. I was thinking a coil and a half but not sure for now.

Johnny just out of curiosity how many coils did you cut and how much drop did you get?

Old 03-07-2007, 04:49 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant remember. I did that 2 years ago. I think i was like 1 1/2. i duuno. but I got almost 2" lower outta it.

Quick Reply: Anyone with experience cutting springs