1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Help me Find out whats wrong with my truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:04 AM
aaron_keiser2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me Find out whats wrong with my truck

Ok, this truck has pretty much never run right since the day we got it. It's 1991 Dodge Dakota with TBI 318 V8. It's 4x4, automatic. We live in smog **** California. Smog is due as i am typing this. It was taken in to be smoged but ran so bad on the rollers that the tech couldn't even start the test. The truck will start and idle fine but once you rev the motor up to 1500rpmit and goes back down to idle. Ok so we bought the truck intending to switch the drivetrain to make it a rock crawler which we did. We replaced the automatic with a np435 stick shift. Now the truck is giving us 37 and 45 which is Govener pressure solenoid circuit fault code and the other is 37 which is Part throttle solenoid driver circuit. Are these codes because we switched to a manual transmission. Basically we've been trying to find out how to make this truck run right and nobody will give us any help. We are debating the idea of getting rid of this truck since it sucks so bad. The only reason its still here is because of all the time and labor we've put into it, which included everything from the motor back. I'm begging you please help. We just need to get it through smog then we can put a carb on it for another 2 years.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...ougsTruck2.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Dougstruck.jpg

Old 04-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Help me Find out whats wrong with my truck

First I would like to say welcome. Your truck looks good. You should post up some more pics. You said you made it a rock crawler. What did you do to it.
The lists of codes I have say a differnt thing. 37 Torque converter clutch solenoid CKT or park/neutral switch failure.
And no 45 on the list. You can check it out here https://dodgeforum.com/m_63384/tm.htm
This list might be different because this might just be for the mpi engines. I would sugest rereading your codes. That site explains how.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:04 PM
aaron_keiser2006

This truck is my brothers BUT me and my dad did most of the work since he was off at school. We used a ford bellhousing to mate the wide ratio NP435, chevy 12in clutch. It runs the Borg Warner 1345 transfer case. The crawl ratio is about 83:1. The starters on the left side so we had to engineer a clutch linkage that would work behind it. It's got a high pinion full width dana 44 on coils front end from a bronco, warn hubs, detroit in the front. The rear is a dana 60 from a 68 ford f 100 with moser 35 spline shafts with a detroit locker as well. We made a custom bracket to bolt up a Warn 9500 winch. It had 37 mtrs but I took them and put em on my jeep. We have lots of pictures of the buildup but they're at my dads house. We really need to get this truck running right and we bought and entire 92 magnum 318 to put in it. We sent the engine to our machinies and both heads were cracked. We really don't want to throw away money on this doggy TBI setup. The OBD1 magnum seems to be the best setup but if they crack heads then maybe its not. Maybe a chevy 350 MPI would be better. How would these two fault codes make it run so bad. It's not a pluged cat since I took everything from the cat, back, and it still runs bad.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:31 AM
JetNoise
Professional

In my book the 45 code is something to do with the MAP sensor... I don't remember the wording, but I had that cade "pending" for a while... check your vaccuum lines and such. 1 bad vacuum connection or hose will make it run horribly.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:30 PM
aaron_keiser2006

Hears a picture I found from my friend. This is a couple years after we built it. Me, my brother, and our friend Andrew who just put a obd2 318 magnum in his 78 powerwagon.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...ldmountain.jpg

Old 04-15-2008, 05:39 PM
AirForceGuy
Rookie

In the 1991 factory service manual I have, it says the code 37 is a "Torque Converter Lockup Solenoid Circuit - An open or shorted condition detected in the torque converter lockup solenoid circuit (vehicles with automatic transmissions only)". That codemakes sense if you switch it to a manual transmission.
There is no code 45 listed in the book. Are you sure its not a code 55, which just means there are no more codes?

Gerry

Old 04-25-2008, 07:15 PM
aaron_keiser2006

Ok so we changed out the TPS and still funny. The air filter was clogged but it wasn't the problem. We are starting to throw together the 92 magnum motor that we plan on swaping in. When I took it appart I noticed it had flat tops and small combustion chambers. Does anyone know the compression ratio on a 92 magnum motor??? I would really like to know

Old 04-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I belive its 9.1:1

Old 04-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Crazy4x4RT

I belive its 9.1:1
yep that is it, not so good for a turbo/supecharger setup, but i guess it is decent for a n/a engine.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:41 PM
aaron_keiser2006

Since we found out the 92 magnum heads we have are cracked would you guys say this is a good deal for some other ones?

http://www.idealcylinderhead.com/chr...nder-head.html

Quick Reply: Help me Find out whats wrong with my truck