1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

IFS vs Solid Axle (swap)? what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Blue 12
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bigger tires are the only thing that will give you more ground clearance. how to fit those tires in is up to you. i went for cheap and easy(but strong) since i had the stuff to work with.
ive been thru some mud so far and its been working great. nothing crazy, as its my way to work now. (i parked on a small snowbank the other day lol) ive been driving 45 min one way to work on a rough road. the steering isnt as tight as it could be, but i dont mind, i like being up in the air. going thru a drive thru the other day a girl mouthed "nice truck" to me as she was walking to her car. her bf looked pissed, i loved it

im thinking about doing a solid axle swap in a yr or so and adding a suspension lift then, but then i would want 44s.... so i may just leave it as is and someday get a ram to go huge with. hard to say really lol

Old 04-17-2009, 10:35 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue 12
bigger tires are the only thing that will give you more ground clearance.
I mentioned that in post #5, but honestly I only half agree with it. When it comes to solid axles, that is true. With independant suspension (coil springs, not torsion bars), you can get a whole heck of a lot more ground clearance with smaller tires than you can with large tires on a solid axle, because the differential is not so close to the ground.

If I had the time and money, I would actually give my truck a 4 wheel independant suspension set up with coil springs rather than do a SAS in the front. It is cheaper and easier to do a SAS then it is to do an IS swap, but, there's nowhere around where I live to go rock climbing, so 2 solid axles wouldn't do me any good.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 04-17-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:40 AM
ModT
Professional

Hey,
Anyways I was talking to my boyfriend and I asked him why do you think that I shouldnt go any higher with IFS? his reply was because if you lift your truck liek that how you were explaining to do it, he said if you get bigger tires which i never inteneded on doing, i just want it lifted higher.

He said that bigger tires will give the truck extra pounds, and you wont be able to drive the speed limit on the highway youll go alot slower than any other vehicles.

He also said that it would mess up my hubs, my wheel barrings, cv axles.

So I dont know what you think about that?
He drives a Chevy S10 and is rebuilding the motor and everything and his truck is all apart right now and his other S10 is not driveable right now, no transmission, etc.
His plan is to get huge tires and a 8" lift and just make it a huge off road truck...with solid axle.

I think he might be jealous of my truck, which really sucks because i would love for his help because i know he knows some **** at least stuff that I dont. I think it is jealousy cause right now hes driving a VW golf, and he always asked to drive my truck, but I wont let him because Its my sexy bitch! lol Im pretty sure he just doesnt want my truck to beat his!

Old 04-18-2009, 12:47 AM
95_318SLT
Champion

Lol, what I have to say about that comment is:

1) read through Blue_12's post "Big effin Military Tires." He has IFS like the rest of us and is running extremely heavy 38" tires.
2) there have been a lot of people that have broken dana 30, 35, even some 44 solid axles with big tires.

Any time you change the factory specs of a vehicle, you are risking accelerated wear on the parts. That does not mean that when you pull out of your driveway your truck is going to fall apart, that just means that you may get 50,000 miles out of the part instead of 60,000. I hope this clears it up. I don't know why he would say you'll go a lot slower on the highway, that just makes no sense... but then again, he drives a chevy . Tires (and anything else "under" the springs) are unsprung weight. Unsprung weight will not hinder handling (except heavier tires will require more braking power). Tires only start to affect handling when the sidewalls become taller and have more sidewall roll. You go tell him that if he's planning on using anything weaker than a dana 44 that he's no better off than your IFS.

*EDIT* If what he means by going slow is that your v6 couldn't handle it, remind him that it's a dodge motor, not a crappy chevy motor :P And if you did ever plan on going with bigger tires, just re-gear the diffs, problem solved. But as for weight slowing you down... thats the stupidest quote I've heard from him yet. My truck as it sits right now has gone 95 mph on the interstate... thats not slow. I don't know him, but from what I've heard so far, I think your right, he's just jealous. Like I said before, don't let him stop you from doing what you want to with that truck, if you think he's lying to you come here and we will clear it all up.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 04-18-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:41 AM
ModT
Professional

Hahah thanks for the replies! Ya I think its jealousy, One thing though I bought us a house, I was fine in the condo I was at with him. But he wanted a double garage to work on his trucks, as did I. We looked and looked for a house to rent with 220 power we finally found one, we fought the whole time him saying he was going to move back to his moms house if he cant get what he wants and he was pissed at me because i was so stressed cause we only had 3 days to find a place cause we gave our notice at the condo. And he didnt understand why I was so stressed out he thought it was stupid, and fought with me bout it all the time.

By the way I am the one paying for everything he got laid off his job and hasnt found one in 5 months, i think he is lazy to and doesnt want to work only wants to spend my money on fixing up his trucks. I paid for rent for 5 months 1500 a month without his help, pay heating, lights all that **** and his phone bill and mine, food, gas in both our vechicles and as you know dodges eat that **** liek its candy. lol

And now that we found a house with a oversize double garage, he is doing all his **** in the garage, and I am to scared to bring my truck in there and work on mine, even thought I pretty much own it and he hasnt paid **** for it. I just dont want him to see me draining my diffs or lifting my truck becuase he will just sit there and say im doing it all wrong. I may take a wrong approach at it but in the long run it usually always works how I intended it too. But he is rebuilding his motor and took 2 trucks apart, and he is totally unorganized and all the nuts and bolts and tools are lying around everywhere, And you dont even have any room to walk , so i dont wanna touch his stuff and him get pissy at me. Especially cause he'll say Im doing everything wrong. So while hes got his nice heated oversize double garage to work on his ****, Im stuck with this little parking spot on the side just with a roof over it so its all windy and no fun to work on my ****. I cant do much either cause Id liek to do it where I am comfortable and where there is light and music and Im not laying out side underneath my truck. But I dont know what to say, he says I can work on my **** when hes got everything cleared out but i dont think that will be anytime soon and I want to start my truck as soon as I can.

But Thanks for replying to all my threads its really helpful! Your liek my favorite guy right now! I get excited when I get your messages!!!!

Sorry bout going on telling you my life story bout him but itll help you better understand what he is liek. And He thinks my truck is a dirty mopar or somethin liek that.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:52 AM
95_318SLT
Champion

LOL, chevy guys hate mopar and vise versa. All you need to do is ask him who's truck is running right now :P

As for the garage thing, I hear ya! I still live at my parents house cause I'm in college right now, but my dad is always on my case about the garage cause it's still a disaster from when I did the auto to manual transmission swap over spring break! And I didn't even work in there, I did it all on the driveway, but all my left over parts ended up in there. When this semester gets done in a couple weeks I'm going to order some steel and put my lift design to work. I'll be writing up a detailed post about it. If its somthing your interested in doing and have a welder you can copy it.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:04 AM
ModT
Professional

Thats the model of what I am trying to get my truck to somewhat look liek!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 02:09 AM
95_318SLT
Champion

LOL, well from what I can see off the top of my head, your going to have to paint your side view mirrors white and install a roll bar behind the cab

Old 04-18-2009, 02:12 AM
ModT
Professional

hahaha its coming along tho!
do you have facebook?

Old 04-18-2009, 05:42 PM
ModT
Professional

I just figured out that my truck when it idles and turns off it is the TPS. How much do you figure it costs for one of those?

And do you think it will be okay to drive till Monday?

And if my truck idles and stops, what should I do?

Where abouts is the TPS located, so I can swap it with a new one?

Quick Reply: IFS vs Solid Axle (swap)? what to do?