1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

how to remove shackle hanger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:30 PM
skyshark186
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remove shackle hanger?

Got to looking at it as I was planning on switching the ones from my 2wd to my 4wd. There is a rounded carriage style head on one side, and .....well a whole hell of a lot of rust on the other. They dont look like bolts/nuts though. Do you drill/cut them out?

Thanks

Old 06-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

They are called rivets. They are not threaded in any way. They are made to be permanent. What others have done to get them off is use a quality air chisel and cut off the head with that. Or get a grinder and grind off the head. They will take some time. But installing you can use bolts.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:54 PM
skyshark186
Captain

Thanks. I had wondered if they were just big rivets, but couldnt tell due to the rust. Ill chop em off tomorrow.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Post up some pics of before and after of the shackels hangers and the truck. Take a messument both times too so we can tell how much.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:57 PM
skyshark186
Captain

Ok....Im always here to help.

Opening round. I took my torch(dont have a grinder sadly, and usually Im pretty good with the torch, but still started on the 2wd...since I care less about it) and chopped off the first hanger. Wasnt too bad. Got a little careless on one hole, but Nothing that should both it in the end. I was planning on using washers anyway, so it doesnt bother me. Cleaned it up good with a wire brush, and sprayed some rust brown on it to hopefully slow the rusting process a day or two.

Gotta get the kid up from nap and go get some bolts. The 4wd rear measured right at 36" from ground to bottom of my opening. I already had the back of the 2wd up in the air(taking off gas tank), so no measurement there yet. Ill drop it before I cut the other off so we have a measurement of how far it drops the 2wd(not my thing...but to each his own) so you guys know. More pics later.

Attached Thumbnails how to remove shackle hanger?-picture-224.jpg   how to remove shackle hanger?-picture-225.jpg  
Old 06-18-2009, 02:02 PM
skyshark186
Captain

sigh....it wont let me attach anything else....off to photobucket I go. You can see in the second pic where I buggered up the lower bolt hole. I got my rythm down now, so I shouldnt make too much of a fool of myself on the rest. Those rivets are some tough customers. If you plan to do this dont underestimate them. I was using enough gas to blow up a plane. I assume you would need a pretty fair grinder to get the job done.

FYI the nut on the shackle itself is 3/4".

Old 06-18-2009, 05:32 PM
skyshark186
Captain

Ok....one side done. The 2wd hanger doesnt fit the same as the 4wd, the top bolts dont reach. I mocked it up on the lower bolts and I gained exactly 2 inches. Im still deciding if I want the additional 1/2-1" by using the top holes and drilling new for the bottom. You can see in the pic that the hanger doesnt reach the top of the frame like the 4wd hanger does. I think Ill move it up to the top holes and drill new for the bottom to get the little extra lift.

Last edited by skyshark186; 06-18-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:02 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sksyhark186
The 2wd hanger doesnt fit the same as the 4wd, the top bolts dont reach.
Good to know!! I would have thought the hangers should have been identical. I plan to do this one day as well, so I can't wait to see your final product.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:29 PM
skyshark186
Captain

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
Good to know!! I would have thought the hangers should have been identical. I plan to do this one day as well, so I can't wait to see your final product.
I did offhand as well. The 4x4 hanger is significantly larger. It not only takes up the whole frame height, but actually hangs down a ways too. I would assume the way it is designed it actually puts more lateral force on the frame/hanger than the 2wd version does. Thus the reason for the larger plate and more space between bolts. But, thats just a guess.

I should have the 4wd done tonight. My hardware store didnt have enough grade 8 stuff to do both trucks.

The holes are going to be a PITA to drill. My drill doesnt fit very well.....so its gonna be interesting.

FYI the holes on the top dont match, so if you want to keep everything straight I would suggest using the bottom two holes(they match) and drilling the top. That way you are sure to keep everything lined up.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Sweet! I love this write up. Good Job! I will post up in the FAQ2 for everyone.

It is turning out different than I thought. I thought a simple swap in. In your opinion since you have both hangers, would it be better than to use the 4wd and just turn it upside down. Since it is thicker. Ya it would require drilling 3 holes instead of 2. Does it seem like it would still work that way? For drilling can't you use the torch, or do you think that is to much and may overdo it? Also when using the torch do the sparks get to close to the gas tank?

Quick Reply: how to remove shackle hanger?