1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New Mopar Performance computer

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 03:05 PM
dakota_drop_tops
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Temp sensor

The Trans temp sensor on the 94~95 RAMs is on the return trans line from the cooler to the tranny near the radiator.
Dakota_Drop_Tops

Old 04-09-2011, 01:50 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay thanks, thats the only info I have found too. What I really wanted to know if anyone can, is what pin number is it on the PCM?

Old 04-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Sauxon
Professional

Sorry for rolling off topic
But I was just wondering if you ran the performance 5.2 PCM with premium gas or just used regular. There is one for sale locally but I do not want to be paying for premium in my truck right now.
Also i was wondering what exactly was meant by "pinging"

Old 04-29-2011, 12:20 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

The Mopar HP Comp. requires (from Mopar) Premium gas due to more advance timing. But it is not 100% necessary. If you start getting pinging you want to go to Premium gas. Regular is fine I try to do Premium but if I'm strapped I will run Regular and it is just fine.

Also a side note for the Code 37 Transmission Temperature sensor to high which is specific to Ram PCM 94-up on a Dakota, I have found the info I need to fix this for good. I will post up with the info and fix when I get a chance to work on the truck.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Since I swapped over to the Mopar High Performance Computer for 94-95 Ram I got Code 37, Which is Transmission Temperature sensor to high, which is specific to Ram PCM 94-up Dakotas don't have the transmission temperature sensor. I have found the info I need to fix this for good. From the 2nd Generation Ram section I was able to download the 95 Ram FSM. There I got my info.

As per the chart below I know that I just need to ground out pin 42 on the PCM, with a 1K resister to get the computer to think the sensor is reading normal operating temp. So all I did is get a pin from an extra pcm connector and placed the resister inline and grounded out. And sure enough the code is gone. No codes at all. PERFECT!

So if you used this PCM this will work to get rid of that code.

As a side note thanks to the Ram FSM I learned some Ram v6's came with the 46rh too. (Which is the V8 transmission)

Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 PM
CentralTexas
Rookie

Ever since I read Crazy's post I've tried to tell myself - you've had that soft code for two years, don't worry about it, you don't really need to fix it. Damn it, I've got to fix it. I'm holding this against you Crazy.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by CentralTexas
Ever since I read Crazy's post I've tried to tell myself - you've had that soft code for two years, don't worry about it, you don't really need to fix it. Damn it, I've got to fix it. I'm holding this against you Crazy.
LOL! You can blame me. And the only cost, was $1 for the pack of 5 resisters from RadioShack.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:20 PM
CentralTexas
Rookie

I thought you might like that response, its kind of true though, except for the holding it against you part. On the serious side, really good find and fix.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:53 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Ever since I got the code since last year I've been meaning to go to the dealership and see if I can get a print out of this info. Obviously I never did.

But once I saw the PDF to download I was like heck ya!

My first plan was to install a temp sensor, just buy a new one and wire it up. I have a T fitting on my Trans cooler line already due to a kink in the line and wanted a T in case I wanted the sensor to install for a gauge.

But $1 vs $30 or so plus I hate opening the trans lines, it gets damn messy. Maybe one day when I upgrade my Trans oil cooler to a larger size.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 PM
capricorn
Default Glad I found this

Hi again Craz; See I told you I'm having a hard time with navigation. Why two different forums for the 1st gen. Kotas? Anyway I've been thinking of a performance PCM and been leaning after market like FAST, I'm not sure but I think you can reflash them. Not sure what the price on that will be yet.

What about the PCM your using as far as a rev limiter? Certainly that would be gone in a performance computer? My stock one falls on it's face at 5500 rpm.

Quick Reply: New Mopar Performance computer