1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

dash and steering column

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 06:14 AM
fox87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question dash and steering column

Since I can't seem to sell my truck for even $2500 I have a question for you all I have a 90 dodge Dakota and I have searched from wichita ks to Springfield mo within a 50 mi wide stretch and can't find a steering column. So what I want to know is can I take the dash and steering column from a 93 Dakota and put it in mine and how hard is it what is the difference in the steering columns? I think I know if I go and do this I will have to change some wiring around. But other than that is it a strait swap. Everyone is telling me i can't take the steering column and just swap them cause one is square and mine is round but what else is different. Please help.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My guess it shouldn't be to bad. Just strip yours down and keep your wiring, ignition switch/ lock and turn signal, steering wheel ect.

What is wrong with your in the first place?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:06 PM
fox87

The blinkers switch and I can't find a column and my dash is all cracked out and like I said I can't find parts except at the auto parts store I just don't know how to get into the column to Tate it apart

Old 07-15-2010, 07:33 PM
LO 619
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fox87
The blinkers switch and I can't find a column and my dash is all cracked out and like I said I can't find parts except at the auto parts store I just don't know how to get into the column to Tate it apart
I have the same problem and I am somewhat familiar with the procedure. You do NOT need a new steering column. To remove/Replace these parts you have to remove the steering wheel & the lock plate to do the job. You will need 2 specialty tools a steering wheel removal tool and a lock plate removal tool.

Is it it just the stalk that is broken? Do the blinkers work at all? give more info maybe even a pic if you can. Mine is broken, but still funtional. The stalk itself can be replaced without replacing the whole unit. The hardest part is finding a OEM replacement. They do sell universal units, but I don't know which one works.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:35 PM
fox87

Ok well the blinkers die work and they finely broke it was herd to get it to blink right. When they finally broke my highs when out to. My column is also lose it is a tilt column so I know it is going to have a little play but just looking at it its the little white plastic part that the screws go thru that is broke. I could be wrong but I think that is why I have nothing. My cruise and wipers still work so its not wiring it just won't click in. I will try and remember to try to get a pic up tomarow. But till then any help I'm grateful for. I was just thinking that I keep finding the square columns every where so I would just change over and do away with the hassle but if its a easy fix that would be good to. I don't have a lot of time to mess with this stuff and its my only way of transportation.

Quick Reply: dash and steering column