1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Wont up shift! Need advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:05 AM
DakotaX2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont up shift! Need advice please!

I just picked up a 1994 Dakota 4x4 x-cab with the 318 automatic. Runs fantastic, but has a issue with the up shift from 1st to 2nd. It shifts fine .....when you let off the gas. But it will hang there unless you let off. All other gear changes are perfect. Downshifts and overdrive is great. Just that 1-2 up shift. I have been searching. And have some ideas. It is cold out today, and I will get the most info I can today, for Saturday.
So anyone have this or have known this issue with others?

thanks for your help.
I was on here a few years ago as Brutus. I still have the 2000 RT. Just wouldnt let me sign in with that name and email. So I am back as DakotaX2

Old 03-25-2011, 07:26 AM
festerw
Veteran

Test out the TPS sensor, it seems to screw with the 1-2 shift the most.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This may help from the FAQ in this section.
My automatic transmission is not shifting properly. - A common cause of improper shifting can be caused by a miss adjusted Throttle Valve (TV) Cable. To adjust it properly click HERE. Don't forget a low fluid level can cause shifting problems. This cable can be refereed as the Detent cable, Down shift cable. The TV cable can adjust shift points. You can try doing a transmission fluid change. Go HERE for a diagnostic chart.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:59 PM
DakotaX2

Just got back from a test drive and the thing works perfect now. It was the TV cable. I just pushed the cable while holding the clip holder about 1/4 inch. Now it shifts like it should. Thanks crazy!

I bought this truck yesterday because the previous owner thought the tranny was going south. I read up a little bit. Had some ideas. I knew it had to be a simple fix. It shift to well and down shifts to well to have a bad one. It was just that delay in 1-2. Oh well. I took a chance. And I got a deal. $1100 for a Mint 94 X-cab 318 4X4. New tires GY wranglers, still have the blue on the letters...lol, Full tank of gas. 100k miles. It has been taken very good care of. Oil every 3k, and had the tranny fluid and filter changed twice so far. Owner took great care of it. Never off road. Im happy.

Quick Reply: Wont up shift! Need advice please!