1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dak Convertible Frame off Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 02:39 PM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Megasquirt is one of the possible options.
I love the learn as you go idea of it. I'm weak in the area of modern engine mgmt/tuning. Need the intake first though.

She's awesome.
-She used to own a 69 mustang and has her motorcycle license.
-At the time, she said she wanted a convertible truck back before we even knew that dodge was currently making one.
-She helped clean and paint the frame.
-Until I got a utility sink, she let me use the kitchen sink to rinse parts. (with a strongly worded rule about leaving a mess)
-She even lets me paint parts in the basement workshop with the resulting smell.

You guys jealous yet ? hehe

Not sure about getting it done first. I had that bet with a buddy of mine. I spent time working on his truck instead of mine.
End result he was driving it last summer.

Status update: Caliper ears are now cleaned up with a die grinder (after filling up the worn low spots with a mig).

I'll be painting it with plastikote rebuilders cast grey.

The wagner quietstop pads fit a bit loose between the knuckle's ears, but they don't come with shims.
I know that the ears can spread outwards over time which makes the gap wider than brand new on the outboard pad.
I figure I'll see if I can find some shims and test them anyhow.

EDIT: I should explain what I meant by shims/clips. I'm not talking about the shims on the back of pads to reduce noise.
These are anti-rattle clips that come in multiple thicknesses and attach to the pads to compensate for backing pad/caliper bracket/knuckle differences.

Last edited by RobertMc; 02-03-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:39 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Cant wait for the final result. Always loved those vert daks!

Old 02-04-2014, 12:27 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobertMc
She's awesome.
-She used to own a 69 mustang and has her motorcycle license.
-At the time, she said she wanted a convertible truck back before we even knew that dodge was currently making one.
-She helped clean and paint the frame.
-Until I got a utility sink, she let me use the kitchen sink to rinse parts. (with a strongly worded rule about leaving a mess)
-She even lets me paint parts in the basement workshop with the resulting smell.

You guys jealous yet ? hehe
Mine did the same thing for the most part. She also tried to do things on her own once....once, she got so frustrated I had to stop her from rolling her corrola down the hil

Last edited by shadowthedakota; 02-04-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:35 PM
RobertMc
Professional

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
Mine did the same thing for the most part. She also tried to do things on her own once....once, she got so frustrated I had to stop her from rolling her corrola down the hil
Hehe.

Anyone who works on vehicles has wanted to do that at one time or another.
I had a 2 audis in a row.... Not sure what I was thinking when I bought another one.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
When I was a kid, we hand a Opel Rekord that we ended up selling for practically nothing to a family friend. He tried to put an SBC and trannie in the poor thing. Ended up smashing all the windows and dumping it in a ravine.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 PM
91DakBuilder

Great build. It's always a pleasure to see any Dak being restored, but it is wonderful to see a Vert Dak getting rebuilt..... Mega Squirt is an excellent Stand Alone should you decide to go that route, but it doesn't have self learning capabilities. I'm running one on my 02 3.9 Dak, and I have one for my 5.7 hemi that will eventually go in my Dart. Hit me up if you need any help with one if you decide to get it.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:32 PM
RobertMc
Professional

Originally Posted by 91DakBuilder
Mega Squirt is an excellent Stand Alone should you decide to go that route, but it doesn't have self learning capabilities. I'm running one on my 02 3.9 Dak, and I have one for my 5.7 hemi that will eventually go in my Dart. Hit me up if you need any help with one if you decide to get it.

If I find a mopar performance intake, I'll more that likely give it a go.
Thanks for the offer !

Old 02-11-2014, 08:32 AM
91DakBuilder

Check ebay and other sites, picked one up a while back really cheap

Old 02-11-2014, 02:20 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie

Hey RobertMc, are you on Youtube as RobertMcDrummer? If so, it's DaylightRobberyCA from Youtube here. We talked about your gauge cluster video!

Old 02-20-2014, 07:07 PM
bran1har
Rookie

This is awsome, good work. Just a tip for next time you have to do any paint stripping like you did on that frame. Aircraft stripper works wonders for projects like that.

Quick Reply: Dak Convertible Frame off Build Thread