1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Austin dodge good
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission

I have a 92 dakota that has transmission problems. when I go to put it in gear it hesitates to go in you have to rev it up for it to go in and once you get it in gear it slips and has a high shift ratio any help will much appreciated.
thanks in advanced

Old 03-29-2014, 10:12 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you checked the oil? proper way to check is IN NEUTRAL parking brake on... if its in park oil dont circulate and inaccurate reading ..

Old 03-30-2014, 12:07 AM
Austin dodge good

Yes I have checked the fluid and I have changed the filter in it and filled it back up to the proper level

Old 03-30-2014, 02:42 PM
kahanabob
Captain

sounds like it is just tired. might try Lucas tranny additive. when you start it in the AM run it in neutral first, the fluid will not circulate in park.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:03 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the manuals here the stickies.. there is info if you got the ***** to try and adjust the bands.. one can be done from outside, but the other requires dropping the tranny pan and adjusting inside.

Also i would check the TV Cable(kick down cable) for proper adjustment since you do say it has improper shifting..

have you tried putting it in neutral for a few before taking off, does it make an difference? if so it could be torque converter is draining out.. ..

Transmission might just be pouched. talking with a local OLD school Transmission guy here ive known for a while when my tranny had Overdrive shudder, he said these POS trannies were common to premature fail, his exact words.... hes started his business when he was 30 years old, hes now 73 :O and is well respected independent shop here .

Old 03-31-2014, 01:20 PM
kahanabob
Captain

yea the bands good idea. i adjusted mine on my 90 easy to do once you drop the pan. basically you tighten them all the way tight then back off a cretin number of turns as stated in the book. i backed mine off the proper amount then tightened back a 1/4 turn just because was old tired tranny. you will still have to run in neutral for a min first, bands will not fix that is the fluid draining out of the torque converter.

Last edited by kahanabob; 03-31-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: transmission