1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1994 Dodge Dakota 3.9 4x4 Transmission Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 07:12 PM
John Walters
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Dodge Dakota 3.9 4x4 Transmission Help

Hello. Im needing some advice. Here is the details I have. I recently bought a 1994 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 Magnum 4 Wheel Drive Automatic. I blew a tranny line to radiator recently and did not let idle or mess with it for no more than 200 ft after all the fluid pumped out and lost power. I fixed the line amd noticed that when looking for the leak/line aftee I put fluid in it took a while to start pumping out of the line that was off. After several starts and restarts and idles. Pump issue? But anyway... got it all fixed and running. Ran for a day and a half and it just broke down again. I can hear a slight winding noise and it loses power and wont go after driving aboit 25 feet. If i turn it off and let it cool for 5 min. I can go another 25 feet then it loses powere again. It goes into reverse as well for 25 feet. Checked fluid. Its still red and doesnt smell burnt at all. Looks brand new. Now Im stuck. Could it be the torque converter or pump? Anothrr question. If i need to replace the transmission can i interchange any other years like a 95 or 96 3.9 4x4 Automatic or any other transmissions. I am having trouble locating 94 tranny. Found plent of 95 and 96s though. All the help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by John Walters; 05-25-2017 at 07:15 PM.