1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel, Spark, but no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 10:41 AM
Dmitri2140
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel, Spark, but no start

I have a 96 Dakota sport 2.5l manual trans and I recently changed the oil (10w-30 with lucas oil high mileage additive) and put in some fuel injector cleaner and the truck ran fine the night I changed the oil and the next day it started a little hard, cranked longer than usual but started, then when I left school at lunch it fired right up, left home to go back to school fired right up, left school to go home fired right up, but then when I went to work it died and wouldn't start back up. So far I've changed spark plugs and wires and the fuel filter. The fuel pump is working and the distributor is throwing off spark but I cannot get the truck to start. I tried spraying starting fluid into the throttle body with no luck. I disconnected the fuel line and turned the key and the truck started for a little bit but obviously died shortly after, so I thought it might be flooded. I reconnected fuel line and turned the key and it started for a little bit but was running EXTREMELY rough, sounded like it had a misfire, engine was vibrating a lot, and the motor sounded really bad. I haven't got it to start since. I'm not sure what is causing the problem but my best guess is fuel injectors. No check engine light but I'm not sure if the light even works, it has never came on. Any opinions on the issue?

Last edited by Dmitri2140; 10-24-2017 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Adding information
Old 10-23-2017, 12:43 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like timing to me....Cam or Crank Sensor?

Old 10-23-2017, 02:09 PM
Dmitri2140

Where are those sensors located?

Old 10-23-2017, 04:19 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Cam sensro is under the rotor in the dist. The wire that comes out of the base of the dist is from the cam sensor.
The Crank sensor mounts on the passenger side top of trans bolted to the block with an end poking down into the trans to be close to the flywheel. IDK if there is one on a manual trans.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Dmitri2140
Talking

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Cam sensro is under the rotor in the dist. The wire that comes out of the base of the dist is from the cam sensor.
The Crank sensor mounts on the passenger side top of trans bolted to the block with an end poking down into the trans to be close to the flywheel. IDK if there is one on a manual trans.
So how would I go about testing those to see if that is indeed the problem? I really need to get a Chilton book, I can never seem to find any information on my Dakota from the internet lol

Old 10-24-2017, 03:30 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmitri2140
So how would I go about testing those to see if that is indeed the problem? I really need to get a Chilton book, I can never seem to find any information on my Dakota from the internet lol
Save your money, buy the factory service manual.

The Chilton's for this book is like reading a book written by Chevy owners after the Dakota was described by a Ford owner ...

RwP