1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

remanufactured ECU issues 95 Dakota 318 automatic

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:55 PM
skids
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remanufactured ECU issues 95 Dakota 318 automatic

My 95 Dakota SLT 4x4 had a no start issue and a dying issue. Never started when CEL (check engine light) did not come on with key. It would run sometimes if CEL light first came on. replaced crank position sensor. replaced the relays, examined/respliced red wires near relay box, then replaced ECU with a NAPA remanufactured one. CEL light came on then started but had issues with ignition dropping out. Replaced distributor cap and rotor and wires. Same problem. Cleaned throttle body and replaced idle control sensor, checked fuel pressure at rail (43psi), throttle control sensor, MAP sensor, O2 sensor, cam position sensor (under distributor cap). Of course, I tested each replacement incrementally before moving on to the next sensor. I finally decided that it was failure of the remanufactured ECU when it heated up. I was getting code 27 with the cycling of the key. I knew that the injectors were working because it would run great at any speed and then ignition would intermittently drop out. I figured it was the injector driver and I replaced the ECU with another remanufactured one (NAPA again) and this one fixed it, so far. A mechanic told me that ECUs can fail within the resin filling. I think they just replace the integrated circuit chips when they remanufacture them.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:03 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

One of the guys on here from Canada posted something about taking an ECU apart and grinding away the resin and remelting the solder on cracked solder on the circuit board. I saw that years ago so ????? He used a piece of metal that he heated up as a soldering iron.