1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

She's alive!! Make mine a 5.9 please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 05:21 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford

not much to look at but she's done. Plenum pan put on finally. Glad I never put it on my 318. Runs smoother and quieter then my old 318. As far as the actual engine running that is. And its not OMG different, but its noticeable. All I can say is :

Well done guy!

One day... one day I'll swap mine.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:38 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbugden
Well done guy!

One day... one day I'll swap mine.
thank you. I can't take credit for this though. I had to have someone do it. Too Damn cold when I needed it done. But he Defenitly did a good job. It has to go back as theres a small oil leak and transmissoon fluid leak. Nothing major. And im not upset with the guy one bit. Things happen.

the oil pan gasket got replaced with a new rear main seal. And the plenum pan finally got put on..glad I never got around to putting it on my 318. Though I could have had the intakes swapped I suppose.

When taxes come back shes getting new lungs. Next after that is a Fly in Ryan tune. Then before I do engine mods I think ill be changing gears if I can find someone to do it reasonably.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:51 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Ok so now the reasons why I did the 5.9 swap over the vortec swap. First and foremost is time. Obviously this is basically a direct swap so time was a factory. I sold my nissan because I just missed my truck too much. So I used that money to get things for the dakota. First was those rt rims and then the 5.9..I have no out of pocket money in any of that. Got a settlememt from a company I used to work for for unpaid overtime. Which bought the nissan so I could work on the dakota over the winter. Well we ended up getting another 4 wheeler and other things so there was no room in the garage for my truck. So after all that I sold the nissan to dump into my dakota.

anyways, my dakota had been leaking oil for the last few months. And I found out after I got my truck back after the swap the rear main was shot as I had thought. That by itself makes a good reason to just swap the engine there as the engine basically has to be ready to take out then.

Also, I believe my heads were cracked or cracking as it smoked pretty good on start up. So I believed I was making my smokescreen via anti freeze. And my water pump **** itself again.

so all that said, time vs money vs want. The 5.9 was the only smart choice I seen viable. With no real money into it, it was a no brainer. The 5.9 runs amazing. And even though there's only a 15hp and 30 foot lbs of torque difference, its easily felt especially over my tired 318. And what's even nicer since the 5.9 is out of a 99, the intake has no plenum divider.

And the best thing about it, the sound. Amazing how just a little difference in bore and stoke makes on exhaust. My flow Master has some cackle to it now. Still sounds like crap imo. But a small improvement. Next month its getting the shorty headers on ice had for 3 years, a new jba y pipe, 2.5 true duals with h pipe and black widow widow maker mufflers with 3" tips. Shell be heard coming a mile away if not more.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:58 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Congrats on all the hard work!

Old 01-14-2018, 08:59 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Congrats on all the hard work!
thank you. But again, I have to admit I didn't do this one myself. Read my post up a couple from this one.

Quick Reply: She's alive!! Make mine a 5.9 please!