1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Ticking Noise From Front Axle

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Ticking Noise From Front Axle

The PT manual T-case is the NV 242 HD. Here is some info.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_1203561/tm.htm

Could be many problems. Like they say lift the front end and get under there rotate it and find the sorce of the sound.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:47 PM
CameronDF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t case

i have a similar sounding tick coming from my front diff.. but i checked all of the u joints and none of them seem to be the problem.. so i took off the front drive shaft to single out the t-case and it stopped doing it, so that leads me to believe it is coming from the t-case. any ideas of what it might be though? i have a 98 durango 5.2 and before i took the front shaft off i had 4x4.. but when i tried putting it back into 2 hi it wouldnt go. i had to crawl underneathe and pull the pin in the t-case out to get it back into 2wd. plus it doesnt even tell me with the light when im in 4wd so im very confused. im thinking about buying a new t-case and or sending this one in for a jasper rebuild but before i spend all that money i want to know if anyone on here has any ideas.. thanks much guys!

Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just rebuild the one you got at a local shop. It's sounds like a bearing and chain problem. Just drop the case and rebuild it as that's a lot cheaper or do it yourself.

Quick Reply: Ticking Noise From Front Axle