1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear wheel noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Dax1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel noise

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue before I take my vehicle to a shop. I have a 99 Durango. I'm getting an intermitent noise from what appears the right rear wheel. It sounds like I have a flat tire which I dont. it's like a flap or thump type noise, mostly low speed. If I speed up its faster if I slow down its slower. here is the problem, its not always there. Hot or miss and I only drive the car once a month for mountain trips and I cant always get it to make the noise. It's quite loud sometimes, I posted on a differnet forum and someone suggested the brakes might be sticking to the drum? I was going to take it in soon and have them pull the wheel but I was hoping to give some diagnosis? Thank you.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:19 AM
jetuco
Amateur
Default RE: Rear wheel noise

sounds like the tire is out of round . maybe developing a flat stop from sitting a month at a time . if thats the case, you should check all your tires.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:44 AM
ganzhimself
Professional
Default RE: Rear wheel noise

I was having similar problems, albiet from the front. Just got new tires all around and the noise is gone. You probably have a wheel that is either out-of-balance or has cupping/other inconsistent wear patterns. Rotate the tires and see if the noise moves with the wheel.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel noise