1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

8 months later, ANOTHER Window Problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:38 AM
misteramx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 months later, ANOTHER Window Problem!!

Okay, this is getting old. I had posted last summer, around 8 months ago now, that my wife was on vacation in our '98 Durango when the drivers side window quit working. It would work after a while, when the fuse was pulled, but would stop again, and the fuse would get hot to the touch.

Well, back at home, the diagnosis from the local shop was the window switch, they replaced it, and it hasn't had a problem since....until yesterday. While driving, wife rolled the passenger window down...where it has stayed ever since, as in WON'T MOVE!! So, tried the master control on the drivers side, again, no noise, doesn't move. And of course, it's all the way down.

So, bought a used passenger side door switch and installed. Nope, that didn't work. Checked all the fuses, they're good, all other windows operate as normal.

So I then unplugged the window motor, tracing the wires to the motor itself. The wires exit the motor and are in a little plug with two metal blade conectors. I attached a jumper wire to each of theseblade connectorsand using a known good 12v battery, touched the other ends to the battery to test the motor. "IF" I did this correctly, then the motor appears to have died as it wouldn't move or make any noise.

3questions - 1) is this the best or even correct way to test the motor while it's still in the door? 2) how do I get the window up at all to remove the motor and 3) is there a chance it is something else other than the motor?

What is with these window issues on these rigs??

Thanks Folks!

Old 05-01-2007, 05:52 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 8 months later, ANOTHER Window Problem!!

https://dodgeforum.com/m_650637/tm.htm

Old 05-02-2007, 03:20 AM
misteramx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mean Green. THANK YOU!! That was EXACTLY what was wrong, the brushes are worn at nearly a 45 degree angle. I managed to clean them up enough to get the window to go up. I no ultimately I will have to replace the brushes or even the motor, but at least now my window's up!

Where did you get your brushes at for the motor? I don't recall seeing anything like that at my local hardware place!

Thanks again!

Old 05-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't done that I stole it off of another site. I think the guy got them at an auto parts store though. I'm glad that worked for you I still have to take care of my passenger side window it is a lot slower than the other windows but still goes up and down.

Quick Reply: 8 months later, ANOTHER Window Problem!!