1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Heater/AC not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 PM
durangoowner5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater/AC not working

I've got an '01, 4.7L, 4x4. Earlier this year my heater/ac would only work on high and I never looked into getting it fixed because I rarely use the ac. Now it won't come on at all. So I was wondering if the switch has gone bad or how serious this may be. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Possible blower motor resistor. Read through all the pages here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...er-switch.html

Old 12-08-2010, 11:20 AM
durangoowner5

Thanks a bunch for the link to all the info!

Old 12-08-2010, 01:15 PM
02durangosxt
Default heater only working on high

it isnt the switch, its the blower motor resistor . if its the front fan not working, look under the dash on the passenger side. about where the passengers feet would be you will see the fan blower motor. while standing on your head you will see a rectangular resistor with 5 wires running into it with a black plug. you need to slide the little red tab thats on the firewall side of the plug toward the driver side of the vehicle, then squeeze the black tab and slide the harness connector off. if it wont separate , its melted together and you will also need a wiring harness. there is 2- 8mm screws that hold the resistor into the bottom of the fan. you will need a 1/4" drive ratchet, a 2 " extension and a 8mm swivel socket to get the screw closest to the passenger side door. i got a resistor at the auto parts store for $14, and the only place around i was able to find the harness was the local dodge dealer for $75. last night i was able to locate a brand new resistor and harness on ebay for $58

here is a link to the part you need, its a very easy fix as long as your all set up and ready to do it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...#ht_2100wt_939

Old 12-10-2010, 12:10 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 02durangosxt
it isnt the switch, its the blower motor resistor.
So are you actually working on this truck? If you aren't, it's hard to say that it isn't likely to occur.

Now I agree with your analogy, but to simply state that it is the only issue? Well quite frankly, you could be incorrect.

Quick Reply: Heater/AC not working