1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

blown intake gasket/stalling no bus odometer

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 01:49 PM
kay1330
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown intake gasket/stalling no bus odometer

Hey all, I bought a 1999 Dodge Durango 318 2 months ago because I fell in lust with the looks and ride. Well now I have some problems. I have 56,000 miles on it and it has been stalling for no apparent reason. The last time it stalled no bus came up on the odometer and it did start up after letting it sit for 15 minutes, the other times it stalled it would not start for 4-5 hours. So I took it to the local mechanic who hooked it up to a machine and he told us the body control module is faulty. Then he checked something else and said that the intake manifold gasket was blown, he checked the oil and it was low, even though we had just changed it. So what I am wondering is if the blown intake gasket could be causing the stalling? If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Old 09-11-2004, 03:15 PM
mickinsocal
Default RE: blown intake gasket/stalling no bus odometer

I am getting the same thing! Same milage, same year, everything!

This feels electrical to me. I noticed that while it's down, the reading on the console are out. When the numbers (mpg, temperature, etc.) the car starts.

Please help us with this!

Old 09-11-2004, 03:25 PM
mickinsocal

kay, I found this link: https://dodgeforum.com/tm.asp?m=5778...key=bus&#58064

I'm going to give it a try!

Old 09-11-2004, 03:28 PM
kay1330
Rookie

That is what we thought too, we thought it was the security system shutting the motor down for some reason. I am wondering if the blown intake gasket could be causing the motor to shut down to protect it from blowing up. The mechanic said the body control module is first priority and then the intake gasket, I wondered if he told us that because he had an idea that if he fixed the intake gasket first it would solve the stalling problem and then he would not get that money out of us.??? I don't know much about engines and mechanical things, but I know I don't want to have to pay for something to be done if it is not the problem.

Old 09-12-2004, 02:21 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The blown intake gasket has nothing to do with the other concern. I would do the intake first and then look into diagnosing the other problem. A blown intake gasket will cause excessivg pinging, lower MPG, extreme oil consumption, and could cause other driveabuility concerns.

Old 09-13-2004, 12:14 PM
kay1330
Rookie

Dodgemech Thank You. I really appreciate the responses I received on here. Hopefully I can get this fixed in a timely manner, I just hate not being able to drive my D. I also hope the stalling is caused by the crankshaft sensor, I think my husband can handle that. Thanks to you all.

Old 09-21-2004, 03:30 PM
kay1330
Rookie

OK so we fixed the intake gasket and replaced the crankshaft sensor and still the stalling problem continues....Please if you have any suggestions??Or if anyone is interested in buying a 99 durango with 57,000 miles, slt, leather, infinity sound system, third seat and Black with brush guard, I am seriously thinking of selling this. My 94 4runner with 147,000 miles seems to be more reliable.

Old 09-21-2004, 07:22 PM
mickinsocal

The stalling continued for me too!! Allow me to first recount my experiences with this. At the end, there is hope for you.

First, the replacement of the crank shaft sensor was extremely difficult. In all, a friend and I spent four hours on this. I felt as if I were in a fight for days following. My right hand is still in bad shape - sore and scratched up. The crank shaft sensor is the worst possible spot. Don't know about you, but I have a V8, 5.9, and the sensor is on the back side of the bell housing, protected by minute space and air conditioning pipes (I assume).

A day after the fix the car stalled again on the way to the Angels game. It stalled again on the way home. I was so discouraged.

Now, the hope: The problem is more than likely with the Power Control Module. Someone more knowing can tell you what this does, but as I understand it, it's sort of like a hard drive. It's a $700 part. The good news is that it's covered under your warranty for 7 years or 70,000 miles.

Now, I took mine in to my local dealer, and pointed them toward the PCM. They pretty much ignored my suggestion and have concluded that it is a "cluster something" that is not covered by the waranty and will run me between $100 - $150. How convenient.

Over the weekend, I read several car forums that spoke to the "NO BUS" message and stalling. It almost always happens at around 50K miles and is particularly troublsome when it's hot. The chip gets hot and malfunctions, shutting the car down. For me, in southern California, it's still a bit hot. All of this difinitive info makes me suspicious of my local dealer and their diagnosis.

I'll let you know how the cluster repair fares. In either case, there is hope for you. Keep me posted!

Old 09-23-2004, 11:36 AM
kay1330
Rookie

My husband will agree with you, he also had scarfed up fingers and still has a sore neck. Too bad that wasn't the problem. I agree with you, I think it must be the PCM. Please do let us know what the outcome is of the "cluster thing". Sounds like the dodge dealers don't really know what is wrong here either. I live in a very small town and the only other Durango owner here has the same problems, so they are just selling theirs. Hmmmm not a bad idea at this point, but I just luv the look of my Durango. Please do keep me informed as I will when I know something. I let my husband take the D for the week, he travels, it has stalled 3 times on him. Anyone else have any suggestions??

Old 09-23-2004, 12:19 PM
mickinsocal

The cluster repair failed twenty minutes after I drove away from picking it up. I told them it was the PCM, and they blew me off. Needless to say, I let them have it when I called back to tell them I had broken down again. Taking it back this morning. We'll see...

Quick Reply: blown intake gasket/stalling no bus odometer