1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Misfire idle on 2000 5.9 durango

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 12:17 AM
captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire idle on 2000 5.9 durango

I hope some one can help me. My 2000 Durango (5.9) 60,000 miles had the trans replaced. Before the trans replaced the engine was fantastic, smooth and powerful. The day I picked up the truck after trans replace, it ran terrible. Very rough Idle, misfire during Idle and taking off. Between 600 and 1000 rpms. After 1000 it seems to be fine. While checking over everything at home I found the downstream oxygen sensor wire harness had been left on top of the catylitic converter and had partailly melted. I brought it back and the shop repaired the wire harness. It got about 50% better but not anywhere as smooth as before the trans repair. I have also since replaced both oxygen sensors. I have had it in two different dealers and they same it has a multiple cylinder misfire but cant explain why. No codes at all. It seems to be worse when the weather is hot. Runs pretty good otherwise. I also have the surging on cruise control that others have mentioned. Anythime you replace something like plugs or wires or cap and rotor, it gets better for a coulple days, but always goes back. Any help would be great. Love the truck, I just want it fixed.....

Old 09-12-2004, 01:23 AM
jasonwyo
Veteran
Default RE: Misfire idle on 2000 5.9 durango

This past december I was having multiple misfires on my 1999 Ram with a 5.9L. What I ended up doing was checking the #8 fuel injector and found it was clogged. I replaced it and it cleared up the problem, also the plug was burned because that cylindar was running lean. Two weeks later that same problem showed up. It finally turned out to be my fuel rail was bad. The fuel rail has a rubber cross over hose that was breaking down and depositing in the #8 injector. Changed the fuel rail and had no problems since. Just a thought...I don't know how a tranny swap could influence any of that.

Old 09-19-2004, 03:01 AM
mastertech

check the wiring going to the crankshaft position sensor to make sure none are pinched or nicked. if there ok it may be the crankshaft sensor itself. ive seen a few times after a trans has been out. what happins is where the sensor is located its prone to damage whenever a trans is being removed and installed and can be chipped or a wire can easily be nicked or pinched without really knowing. the sensor is located on the right rear of the engine and it extends into the bellhousing of the trans. it can be seen best from under the vehicle.

Old 09-23-2004, 12:35 PM
captain

The truck is currently in the dealer now and they are looking at it, they said the heads are bad. My warranty company is paying for head replacement. The heads had a lot of carbon on them but I think there was something causing it to run bad which caused the carbon build up. Will they be able to tell if the crankshaft sensor is bad or damaged.

Old 09-27-2004, 04:13 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may want to check your fuel rail as Jason implied. Maybe with the injectors throwing too rich or too lean of fuel can lead to carbon buildup???

As far as your cruise surging. Replace the Throttle Position Sensor. Sensor is bad and it will not even throw a code on the computer. You can replace the TPS yourself. A $38.xx part from NAPA and remove too allen screws on the side of your throttle body and unplug the wiring harness and it's a quick couple minute changeout.

I have been fighting with my cruise control problem for 3 years on my 00 Durango and the dealership was at the end of the rope trying to diagnose the problem. This problem was resolved when I joined this forum and a fellow durango owner gave me the solution!

Quick Reply: Misfire idle on 2000 5.9 durango