1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango dual AC sytem bites

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007 | 01:18 AM
Lil Red Mopar
|
Rookie
Default RE: Durango dual AC sytem bites

Kensai, in Vegas you can tint your windows so dark the won't even know your name! However I agree with you, if you can't see out the back or see curbs at night it's too dark. Had to say it I love that little band from Texas, ZZ Top rocks.

DuckDoger, it sounds like you may have over charged the unit, and that is Not Good ! An overcharge of refrigerantcan damage the compressor's vavles ultimatley rendering it useless. Too much refrigerant, nowhere for it to go, thus raising low side system pressure beyond design perameters creating an environment in the system that can cause valves to fail or possibly even a line to blow out and a lot of other bad stuff, and hotter air after charging the system coupled with high head and suction pressures are symtoms of a possible over charge or noncondensables in the system.However on start-up the low side pressure will run high for about a minute or so, then drop to normal operating range with the correct charge and in optimum operating conditions (at anoutdoor amb. temp of 85deg F). In the real world pressures will vary. In hot climates like Las Vegas, DFW, Death Vally ect. pressures will run high, in cooler climates they will run almost perfect. Please bear with me, I don't want you to hurt yourself or cause unessisary damage to your Durango's ac system. I have to ask you avery important question. When you checked the pressure was the motor running and the ac on full blast front (and rear if applicable) ? If not, re-check with system running (I do not recommend using one of those crappy recharge hoses from the parts store, they often leak and you can be injured by severe burns from frostbite caused by rapid evaporation of the refrigrant in contact with the skin should a rupture occur). A reliable gauge manifold with hoses and snap fittings runs about $360 and about $180 for those in the trade, also it is against federal law under EPA sec. 608 & EPA sec 609 to knowingly vent HFC 134a into the air due to it's global warming potential, it must be recovered, recycled, or reclaimed, a recovery machine runs around $800 to $1600 for a portable unit wich are the cheapest ones to get. Unless you know a certified automotive A/C tech, I'd take it to a trusted garage and hope the compressor is still good, unless you do this for a living like me , there is no easy fix. I have 150 hrs of class room instruction,1560 hrs on the job training, and a Universal EPA card and an ASE EPA sec 609 card and certificate under my belt, I'm an engineer by trade and odd job in my off time, I'm always fix'n someone's ac, fridge , freezer, or anything with freon in it wether it be at work or in my spare time. Please play this one safe, it will save you time , money, head aches, and possible personal injury. If you live in the Vegas area pm me and I'll help you out the best I can, if not, find someone in your area that does this on the side, usually guys who odd job charge about 50% to 60% of what retail is. I hope this helped you some , sorry it's not that easy a fix but I felt compelled to warn you of what lies ahead in your quest for cool air.

Old 06-04-2007 | 09:59 PM
DuckDodger

thanks lil Red, I was going to recharge the system and checked it before I did, the guage read higher than it should have so I didn't add anymore, I had heard over charging was bad, it sucks the only way to deal with it is going to the shop and getting hosed for sure. I did check it with the AC on full in front and back, doors were open, I let the system run for 3-5 minutes before checking.

Wish I did live in Vegas.......

I will keep you posted......

Old 06-12-2007 | 09:31 PM
bfbass

Kensai,

I'm also in the DFW area. You got any info on the OEM E Fan you added, like what, where, etc?

Brian
2000 SLT 5.9
All stock - so far

Old 06-12-2007 | 09:41 PM
Kensai
Champion

BF,

I did not add the OEM e-fan to my durango. It already came with it when I bought it. I think starting on year 2000's, Dodge has added the E-fan only to assist in A/C cooling when your D is sitting idle and the clutch fan cannot pull enough air to keep the A/C cool. There was a TSB on that I think on most dodge trucks.

so your system did not have the e-fan? You may have a earlier 2000 model maybe? I also heard rumor that the other reason for the D to have a e-fan along with the clutch fan is if your durango has the tow package installed?

Old 06-12-2007 | 11:19 PM
Mean Green
Champion

You are right Ken I have the e-fan and I'm sure it is a great helper.

Old 06-12-2007 | 11:49 PM
orlandozfreak
Rookie

any results from this conversion yet? what are the operating pressures? vent temps? etc

i to am epa 609 certified, and might be interested in doing this

Old 06-13-2007 | 06:02 PM
bfbass

Kensai,

I havea 2000 with the tow package and no e-fan. Wonder if that's why the at-idle A/C tempo gets so bloomin' hot?
I'll check my manual again to see if it shows one, but I sure didn't see it when I was looking at both the shop manual and the D.
Or maybe I'm just gettin' old and can't see too well. Isyours a push or a pull? (Si in front of the radiator or behind?)

Brian

Old 06-13-2007 | 10:13 PM
Kensai
Champion

ORIGINAL: bfbass

Kensai,

I havea 2000 with the tow package and no e-fan. Wonder if that's why the at-idle A/C tempo gets so bloomin' hot?
I'll check my manual again to see if it shows one, but I sure didn't see it when I was looking at both the shop manual and the D.
Or maybe I'm just gettin' old and can't see too well. Isyours a push or a pull? (Si in front of the radiator or behind?)

Brian
All OEM e-fans are Pull fans. It is mounted on the backside of the radiator. Basically inbetween the radiator and the clutch fan. If it is true that you have the tow package but no e-fan, then the only reason why the durango would have a e-fan is to address the A/C cooling problem when sitting idle. I would have to guess your Durango must be one of the first 2000 models to roll out from the factory before they added the e-fans to address the A/C cooling problem. I know that there was a TSB on this issue that required the dealer to add a e-fan to address this A/C cooling issue at idling.

Quick Reply: Durango dual AC sytem bites