1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

P1281 code on '02 Durango 5.9L

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 06:37 PM
falcon241073
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1281 code on '02 Durango 5.9L

I have a 2002 Dodge Durango 5.9L 77,000 miles. My MIL came on yesterday. I had the code read at AutoZone. They told me it was a P1281 Manufacturer Control Fuel Air Metering. He then said I might have a vacum leak somewhere. I have seen on several forums that this codewas "Engine to cold too long Engine coolant Temp remains below normal operating Temps during vehicle travel (thermostate)". I am not sure which way to go with this. It was 94 degrees here yesterday and my truck had only sat for about 8 or 9 hours while I was a t work. It seems to be running fine. My fuel cap is on tight. My coolant level looks good. My fuel milage is as bad as usual not worse, lol. I am not sure where to start the trouble shooting. I do not have alot of free money to throw around. I can do basic labor myself, such as thermostate replacement etc. Any ideas on where to start would be cool.

Thanks

Old 06-17-2007, 04:48 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: P1281 code on '02 Durango 5.9L

Try the Air Charge Sensor orMAP sensor.

I would totally clean the entire Throttle Body and all sensors first. Then go from there.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:23 PM
falcon241073

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

Try the Air Charge Sensor orMAP sensor.

I would totally clean the entire Throttle Body and all sensors first. Then go from there.
Are you suggesting changing out the ACS or MAP?? Then if that does not work try cleaning the Throttle body and the start checking the other sensors? If so on the throttle body, then are you suggesting taking it off and cleaning it or running a cleaner through the system? I have put80 to 90 miles on the engine since clearing the code and it has not come back. I forgot to add that when the MIL came on I checked the engine oil level and it was about 2 qts low (I know, it is inexcusable and I should check it more often) I added the 2 qts and then cleared the code. Would that have made the MIL come on? Expecially if I have been low for a while? I will not be making that mistake again, I am usually more strict on my maintenance. Uggghhh so much for being lazy...

Old 06-18-2007, 01:24 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What I am suggesting is to take the TB off and fully clean it. Not just a in fuel cleaner. The fuel enters the engine through the injectors not the TB. The TB is only for the air intake. I don't quite understand your question. You enter a post describing your systems and don't even follow up. With the TB being dirty, (other sensors can be dirty too) you can clean almost all of them by removing the TB and all sensors and clean them.
Your oil is low? Well we are simply giving you things to check. The first problem is you don't even have a right code. There is not a P 1281 code in the index. If you want info on your ride you need to give all the info if you want our help. If not we are just guessing. I gave you some very sound advise. I gave you a cheap fix by telling you to clean everything using a cheap $2 bottle of TB cleaner and various places to start looking. I didn't tell you to go start replacing parts that aren’t bad. Remember we are hear for help.
[sm=rant.gif]

Old 06-18-2007, 04:32 PM
falcon241073

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

What I am suggesting is to take the TB off and fully clean it. Not just a in fuel cleaner. The fuel enters the engine through the injectors not the TB. The TB is only for the air intake. I don't quite understand your question. You enter a post describing your systems and don't even follow up. With the TB being dirty, (other sensors can be dirty too) you can clean almost all of them by removing the TB and all sensors and clean them.
Your oil is low? Well we are simply giving you things to check. The first problem is you don't even have a right code. There is not a P 1281 code in the index. If you want info on your ride you need to give all the info if you want our help. If not we are just guessing. I gave you some very sound advise. I gave you a cheap fix by telling you to clean everything using a cheap $2 bottle of TB cleaner and various places to start looking. I didn't tell you to go start replacing parts that aren’t bad. Remember we are hear for help.
[sm=rant.gif]
LOL

Sorry you misunderstood my reply. I was just trying to clarify what you said. I must have read to much into it. I am naturally paranoid and went to far in my thinking of what to do. Did not mean to sound mad at you about what you suggested. Let me know what other info you need on my Durango and I will post it here.Thought I had enough in my follow up post.

I have a 2002 Durango 5.9Lwith 77,000 miles. The codethe reader showed was P1281, the guy showed it to me. It could be wrong and seeing as it was AutoZone it probably is, lol. I threw in the fact the oil was low as a possible reason the code came up. I forgot to add it into the original post. Was not sure if that might be a cause or make a difference. I know I can get to the TB easily and take it off and clean it easily, how hard are the other sensors? I saw twoon the passenger side of the engine in the block right by the TB which others do you suggest I pull and clean? What cleaner do you suggest for the sensors, the TB cleaner? (just want to be clear, I do not want to mess anything up)I have not bought a Durango repair book yet, but I can see it in my near future.Thanks for those suggestion I will do the cleaning next week, as I got a busy week at work this week.

And according to this site there is a code "P1281 Engine Is Cold Too Long Engine coolant temperature remains below normal operating temperatures during vehicle travel (thermostat). "

It is located here:https://dodgeforum.com/m_555666/mpag.../tm.htm#555666

That is where some of my info came from.

Sorry, I was not accusing you of telling me to replace parts, only asking for clarification on if I might need to. I guess I could have worded the questions better. Yes it was sound advice, and I thank you for it.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

P1281 code means that your engine is not reaching proper operating temperature after a set amount of time. I also got this code when I finally got my hypertech programmer. Looked up the code and that is the answer. Which was true. My engine did not warm up to operating temperature. took a very very long time. This was back in early spring when DFW temperatures were much cooler. I justignored that problem since I prefer to run my engine a little cooler as spring/summer was around the corner. When the 80's and 90'stemps arrive, the engine was still running cold for aunsual length of time from a cold start. Took much much longer to warm up. When I ordered my hypertech programmer, I went outand had mystat changed to a 180 stat as recommended by hypertech.Came to find out my thermostat was a little warped so when it closed, it still left a gap for the antifreeze to pass thru.Replaced my bad stat with a 180 stat and solve that problem. Then had hypertech programmer clear the code.

Naturally, I went and check the codes that Hydrashocker posted and did not find the code. But the full list of codes were listed from dakota-durango forum.

I use Chem B12 spray to clean my throttle body. It gets a little dirty after a good while of driving (about every 20k). Alot of the oily residual buildup on the butterflies of the throttle bodyis caused by a bad pcv valve. So make sure you replace those on a regular schedule maintenance basis. It can help with your engine idling also.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:24 PM
falcon241073

Thank you Kensai. I will be getting me a bottle of tB cleaner and taking care of that. Also, I may be chamging out my Thermostat to a 180 as I like a cooler engine too. I will change my PVC while I am at it since I am in there messing around. Atleast this is a cheap fix, I was worried, lol

Old 08-23-2007, 05:54 PM
falcon241073

LOL been awhile since I updated this thread.

OK I just got in from changing out my Thermostat. It is a 180 degree thermo. I gave the test drive and no leaks, yeaaaa.

I cleared the codes and in the 15 minutes test drive they did not come back, not that I would expect them to in that quick a time frame. Lets hope that the thermo change was all it took.

My old thermo was shot. One side of the sprind support on the bottom was actually broke. I caused the support to angle off sideways and bind the spring.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 PM
r3024

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
[sm=rant.gif]
You are rude, man! This post I was reading was in 2005, and I am glad you are retired. This site has been very helpful to me, no thanks to you! You always have a shotgun approach to everything. I just got a "P1281,engine cold for too long" on my '99 Durango, (may not be in your index, but it is in the PCM). The O2 sensor heater is still flashing on my reader and has not run. I am chasing that avenue.

Quick Reply: P1281 code on '02 Durango 5.9L