1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

MSD 6AL ignition

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:11 PM
cesspool
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD 6AL ignition

I have one of these laying around, brand new never used. I was curious if it would help the ol'D any. Put it to good use other than a $250 paper weight....

Old 07-02-2007, 02:00 AM
Durango911
Professional
Default RE: MSD 6AL ignition

Yes it would be worth it. I'm definately reinstalling mine when I drop my new engine in.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:06 AM
Lil Red Mopar
Rookie
Default RE: MSD 6AL ignition

The 6AL is cool because it has a built in rev-limiter to control rmp unlike the 6A model. Besides that the unit provides multiple sparks to each cylinder that are stronger than the stock delivered spark.Where the stock ignition would normally throw one spark per cylinder in the firing order, the MSD unit delivers many in the same duration that would normally get one, and the MSD's sparks are hotter and higher current resulting in more complete combustion of the air-fuel mixture. You get a little more hp,tq,mpg, easier starting, reduced plug fouling, quicker ET's, and if youinstall a supercharger the unit will prevent the supercharger from blowing the spark out at 3000 rpms and it allows for gapping the spark plugs a little wider. The unit works up to 15000 rpms @ 14.4v and only needs a 12-18v power supply. When I floor it in my D I've never seen the tach go over 3500 rmps so I'm pretty shure the msd will work for you at all times. If you don't have the wiring instruction, someone posted a DIY with pics on this site, also msd.com has pdf downloads for all of their ignitions and a 1800 line for help. I'd definately install it, I got one on mine and I have yet to meet anyone who drag races who'd say otherwise.

Quick Reply: MSD 6AL ignition