1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 Durango - Shifting/RPM Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 06:20 PM
mickinsocal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Durango - Shifting/RPM Problems

I've had one issue after another with my 99 Durango. Each problem seems to be resolved with a new sensor of some sort. Most of the fixes are rather easy and inexpensive. I'm hoping this one/these will be two. I believe I have two issues:

1) At low speeds the RPMs go very high before shifting. At 10mph the RPMs are around 2000, at 20mph - 3000, at 30mph it's topped out between 3500 and 4000 RPMs before it quickly shifts back to normal.

On my own I came to the conclusion that it was the Throttle Position Sensor. After an easy change, it wasn't fixed. I have recently changed the speed sensor, crank shaft sensor and the PCM (repaired by my local Dodge dealer)

Where should I go from here?

2) The car won't start in 'park'. It feels very much like it is stuck to some extent when you shift the coloumn into 'P'. I have total power and it starts fine out of 'N'. Could the gear shift be off track or something? It just doesn't feel right.

Could these two issues be related? They don't seem like it to me, but I am a total novice who has learned everything he knows from you guys on this forum!

Please help! Now that I've actually fixed something on my own, it's hard to imagine letting someone else fix something that I could.

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2004, 02:36 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 99 Durango - Shifting/RPM Problems

I am almost 100 percent sure that your governor actuators are shot! Do you have a check engine light on? My Durango tranny went to limp mode and check engine light came on. 1 and 2 gears are basically stuck, revving to a very high rpm before it tries to shift to next gear. Still under warranty, dealer checked and found my governor actuators are shot. After replacement and a PCM re-flash from dealer, everything is running fine.

Old 10-07-2004, 04:53 PM
jciscott

mine had very similar sifting woes.... also had check engine lite. turned out to be simple repair, replace transmission speed sensor. cost with labor $150.
Truck shifts like new.

Old 10-08-2004, 07:02 PM
rockadaous
Professional

the sensors on this truck are crap. save yourself a ton of $$$$
most sensors can be changed in 10 min. pick one up at
http://www.dodgeparts.com or http://www.moparsupercenter.com
most are 10mm wrench and your done. good luck

Old 10-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jciscott

mine had very similar sifting woes.... also had check engine lite. turned out to be simple repair, replace transmission speed sensor. cost with labor $150.
Truck shifts like new.
$150 bucks? you got jipped! Speed sensor runs around $20 or less. This can be done yourself if you have basic mech know how. Procedure only takes around 20-30 minutes.

Quick Reply: 99 Durango - Shifting/RPM Problems