1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4.7 Coil Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:29 AM
duff73
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 Coil Removal

I went out the other day and tried to remove the coils to put some new plugs in. The only problem was that after I took off the retaining nut that holds the coil down, it would not come off. It didn't say much about it in the Haynes manual, as the only thing it did say was to remove the nut and pull off the coils. Am I missing something here, or should I just take it in. I let the truck cool down completely, and I even gave the coils a shot of penetrating grease.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:49 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: 4.7 Coil Removal

Not a good idea on the grease. Just pull them off with more force. They snap down on the plug so they are probably the original plugs. Remember to only use Champion replacement plugs. Do a search on the D 1st gen on information regarding plugs for your application. Also clean out the coil ends that attach to the plug's with a end cap brush before installation of coil on new plug to increase continuity.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:31 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duff:

Give them a gentle wiggle (emphasis on gentle) as you are pulling up on them. IIRC, I had similar issues when I replaced my OEM's at 30k. Also, I unplugged the connector from them to give me a bit more range of motion during removal.

Good call on the cold engine. You do not want to risk damaging the threads which is apparently very easy on these aluminum heads.

Don

Old 07-29-2007, 06:06 PM
duff73
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I went out and I bought Champion Iridium plugs for it. It is still an PITA to get those suckers off, but I got 4 of em done this afternoon with a 6 pack of liquid engineering. I don't have to drive it for a couple of days, so I am going to do the rest tomorrow. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:01 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

They do make electrical grease for conections of this sort. I usually don't recomend them but in this case I might recomend a small tid bit right on the top of the plug before installation to keep this from happening again.

Quick Reply: 4.7 Coil Removal