1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango 4.7 overheating.......please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 12:20 AM
daddysdurango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Durango 4.7 overheating.......please help!!!

Engine is overheating. Replaced t-stat, rad cap, rad cooling fan and relay, clutch fan. Does fine on highway but in town it keeps overheating. Spits out about a cup full ofcoolant from overflow tank whenI park and shutengine off. No leakage from water pump. Also oil pressure gage seems to be running high since this all started . Not sure if it has anything to do with it or not but figured i'd throw that in. Any help would be appreciated. Allready 500.00 into it and thats doing everything myself. [:@]

Old 08-02-2007, 01:43 AM
VydorScope
Rookie
Default RE: 2001 Durango 4.7 overheating.......please help!!!

What about the temperature switch? Does the electric fan stay on when you trun off the truck?

Old 08-04-2007, 11:38 AM
daddysdurango

not sure about the temp switch but the fan shuts off when i turn the truck off. I brought the truck back to the garage and they ran some kind of solution through the engine and it came back green sofrom what the mechanic said , the head gasket is blown[:@]. So theyre fixing it now as we speak. Lets just hope the heads arent cracked. Thanks for the help. This is a great site. Just wish i could have found it sooner.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While they are doing that, you might as well check the pump, it may look good outside, but internally it may not be pushing the volume of antifreeze. Depending on the mileage you have and if the pump is OEM, might as well have it replaced. Also, check the radiator for signs of blockage, that may be an additional problem besides the pump. 4.7 engines cannot handle the excess heat for any long length of time and will easily crack the heads because of this.

Recommendation to any one with 4.7 engines, if your temp gauge starts to show you are operating above normal operating temp, better have this fixed ASAP or you may be looking for a new set of heads or a new engine.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:03 PM
dogs

Mine does the same thing, takes a while though. motor runs great but still over heats with new clutch fan, thermostat, water pump, hoses, sensor, electric fan relay, cap, etc. engine compartment is spotless and runs too well to be head or gasket I believe. I only drive locally now because I don't know what else it could be. A guy today said there may be another bleeder valve on the block somewhere.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:59 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

4.7s need to use the stock stat, or one with a weep hole AND you need to burp the system. Don't do those and you'll overheat. Otherwise, you should be fine. Get back with me AFTER those are checked and if there is an issue, we'll go over it. My bet is that it will be solved.

IndyD

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango 4.7 overheating.......please help!!!