1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

HELP!!! '99 durango V8/5.9L/4WD

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 08:40 PM
mel_u
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! '99 durango V8/5.9L/4WD

HELLO! I am new to the forum. I just sent the message below to one of the first fellow members I found that sounded like he might be able to help; however, just in case, here it goes.... Being an "unmechanically inclined girl", i have no clue where to start...

An "AutoZone" guy diagnosed my "check engine" warning light and had me purchase a new speed sensor for $18.99. Now I just need to figure out how to find and replace it! He assured me that I "should" be able to. ???

Ihave a diagram/illustration (via this wonderful forum and a fellow member) but it confuses me a bit. First let me just mention, not trying to be cute or anything, but I don't even really know what/where this is in relation to the vehicle! Regardless, it shows two speed sensors (output/input). My (automatic transmission) gears have recently, intermittently, failed to shift to the higher gears, so I believe it's the output one based on what I've read so far but not sure.

Do I need any special tools or does anyonehave any special advise for me on how to find it, replace it, or anything else I should know? I've been warned about the transmission fluid and been informed that it's located on the back side on the driver's (left) side
. Allow me to remind you that, although athletic and confident in my inquisitions, I admit that I am just a girly-girl with VERY limited knowledge when it comes to cars, so your help would be greatly appreciated - especially with additional diagrams and/or illustrations! I have been searching online for two days now.

I have searched various forums and have literally not found anythingdedicated to such procedure in a manner thatI could relate that is beyond a similar inquisition and/or diagnosis. Although I may not be savvy when it comes toauto servicing, or even anything really relating to the operatingparts of a vehicle for that matter, I can certainly pay attention and commit to learning and follow instructions. I have pictures of my vehicle if anyone is willing and able to draw or highlight where this "mystery sensor"is supposed to be located. I need the step by step "how to".

Unfortunately, I do not have any close friends that are truly mechanically inclined. My girlfriends' MacGyver skills are limited to fixing a shoe heel in a pinch. Last resorts would be to either go to the guys at the place where I get my oil changed that always openly and shamelessly hit on me or go to a random auto shop that will most likely have me replace and pay for additional parts that I probably don't really need. Times like this I really hate being a girl!

Thank you in advance.... forever grateful if you respond,
a girl that wishes she'd taken (auto) shop in school!

Old 08-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: HELP!!! '99 durango V8/5.9L/4WD

I hope someone here can create some good documentation with some visuals that can help you out. My Durango is not available at the moment as I am still awaiting for my transmission to be built from Fastman. Otherwise, I can take some pics of where the transmission sensor is located. All I know from what I observed within this forum, you look at the transmission and follow to the end where the driveshaft connects to. You should see the sensor near the end. One of the users posted a pic of where the sensor is located at. From that point on, I do not know what size tools and such to use to remove the sensor but I did read that you have to be careful as some transmission fluid will leak out when you remove the sensor and may need to add some fluid back after you install the new sensor.

Other than that, welcome to the boards and hope you get your Durango running good again! We are all cheering you on and supporting ya all the way! Wished my wife was as ambitious as you in taking on these type of challenges!

If you live in the DFW area, I would recommend you to take it a close friend of mine that also owns a shop and he can replace it for ya for next to nothing.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:48 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: HELP!!! '99 durango V8/5.9L/4WD

i dont have pictures right now, but it is the only sensor hanging off the bottom of the transmission of the drivers side, i just did the one in my dak i dont remeber what size it was, but you can use an adjustable crescent wrench to take it out, or find the right size using the new one to put the wrench on, ( i just used an adjustable, and yes, it definetly is the output sensor ill try to get some pics for you, but no garantees sorry, but like i said, not hard to find, the only wire going to the bottom of the trans(located near the driveshaft end)

Quick Reply: HELP!!! '99 durango V8/5.9L/4WD