1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:37 PM
jrock817
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust sound

i was thinking about just buying a flowmaster muffler and having a shop weld it into place with the existing exhaust. will the 4.7 sound good with a 1 or 2 chamber flowmaster, or is it gonna sound "rickety" like a v6? ive always had mustangs and have done this simple add on with great satisfaction, and my dakota was a v6 and didnt sound any different with the flowmaster. i dont care how the pipes look since they are under the car, and is anyone has done a simple turndown after the muffler, what have you thought? also i dont care too much about the horsepower gain from a full cat-back, im more concerned with the sound, thanks in a dvance for any replies.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: exhaust sound

A 4.7 will sound just fine with a fm. I have the 40 on my 360 and it is just nasty.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:45 PM
jrock817

thx ill go ahead and get the muffler, just wanted to make sure it wouldnt sound v6'ish.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:24 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Nope it'll sound like a v8 even if it is a small v8. [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Old 08-22-2007, 09:45 AM
chemoman
Rookie

18" glass pack. Cherry Bomb if you like, but there are less expensive ones out there. I have an off brand single and it sounds great.
Mine was $40 installed. Much less pricey than Flowmaster. At that price, it's worth a shot.
It still don't tow for crap though.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Problem with cherry bombs are that they are sooo raspy whereas a fm (or the likes) has a nice grumble to it.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:54 PM
bigbaddurango
Professional

I agree cherry bombs sound like crap i pulled a 40 fm off my mustang and cut thte convert and muffler off my d put a long pice of piep andfm and turn down it sounds real good one of these days when money alows i will do true duals witha x pipe 2 fm and tail pipes no cats the front one would be gone but pipe t's in to cat

Old 08-22-2007, 11:05 PM
chemoman
Rookie

ORIGINAL: bigbaddurango

I agree cherry bombs sound like crap i pulled a 40 fm off my mustang and cut thte convert and muffler off my d put a long pice of piep andfm and turn down it sounds real good one of these days when money alows i will do true duals witha x pipe 2 fm and tail pipes no cats the front one would be gone but pipe t's in to cat
Personal preference I suppose. I get compliments all the time( usually the older croud) on how sweet it sounds. Then again, it's not a name brand cherry bomb, it's an off brand glass pack. If I get around to it before I sell it, I'll post a sound clip.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Lil Red Mopar
Rookie

ORIGINAL: chemoman

18" glass pack. Cherry Bomb if you like, but there are less expensive ones out there. I have an off brand single and it sounds great.
Mine was $40 installed. Much less pricey than Flowmaster. At that price, it's worth a shot.
It still don't tow for crap though.
I don't know man, I went to Checker and got a real Cherry Bomb for $24.99 + sales tax, don't seem that expensive to me. You don't have to weld it in, hell the fatory muffler aint even welded in. Sawzall, WD-40, sockets and wratchets, pipe pieces parts, and some leather work gloves is all you need and you can even do it hot and get done in about an hour or less.

As far as sound goes, to each his own, however the only way I see mine gett'n any meaner than it already is with the 26" Cherry Bomb, would be to run it with straight pipe, but it's so loud now that the cops take note of me almost immediately.

I did mine this way for unrestricted exhaust flow, the 70 was hold'n her back a little too much for the cai.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:18 AM
jalapeenoz
Professional

I put a Cherry Bomb Pro muffler on my D and I love it! It is an actual muffler not a glasspack. Nice aggressive rumble, but no droning/resonance. The Cherry Bomb Extreme sounds real nasty, but I was afraid it might be too loud in a D.

Quick Reply: exhaust sound