1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1999 Durango 5.2 Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:27 AM
rjgst31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Durango 5.2 Transmission problem

All,
I have been having what seems to be a common problem with my durango transmission. I have read as much as possible and I still have a few questions for clarification.
1999 5.2 with 107000 miles. Regular maintenance has been done since I have owned it, but I do not have records from before 68000 miles.
My problem is that the durango seems to rev up to high rpm's when trying to shift between 1st and 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, but 3rd to 4th seems fine (highway). My wife also says that it died on her when trying to go up a very steep driveway, but I haven't been able to reproduce that problem (The brake line blew out at the same time, so she started to drift back down the hill). The check engine light is not on.

1. If one of the electronic sensors were bad, would the check engine light come on? I just borrowed a code reader from a friend to try to see if there are any codes even though my check engine light isn't on.

2. My first step was to change the fluid/filter and adjusted the rear band. There was a bit of gunk on the magnet, but no metal shavings or anything to be concerned about. I filled it back up with 4 qts or ATF-IV fluid. I wasn't able to reach the front band with any of my existing tools. Is there a specialty tool that would make this easier to reach? I might just take it to the dealer and have them adjust the front bandthe TV cable. Are there any other items to check?

I really hope that it doesn't need a new tranny because I just spent $1500 on other repairs a few months ago.

Thank you for the help...I hope I can resolve this instead of looking for a new car.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:28 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: 1999 Durango 5.2 Transmission problem

sounds like a govenor pressure sensor failure to me... it is common on these trannies for that sensor to go bad.

welcome to df...

Old 09-19-2007, 07:58 AM
rjgst31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1999 Durango 5.2 Transmission problem

Thanks for the idea. I'll take a look at the governor sensor. Would there be any codes thrown if this went bad? I will take a look at my service manual to see if I have any info on troubleshooting that part.

I checked the codes and there are none showing up. I also have been checking the fluid level daily just to be sure. It seemed to be a bit low, so I brought it up to the expected level. It seems to be slipping less with the newfluid, but it still happens. I checked the TV cable and it didn't need adjusted.

Any other ideas?

Quick Reply: 1999 Durango 5.2 Transmission problem