1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Upper Ball Joint Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:47 AM
20durango00
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Ball Joint Replacement

Finally got around to taking the '00 D in for the upper ball joint replacement (ext. warr.). They were popping since we bought it new. All is well now! BUT, when I got it home and inspected it, the ball joints were replaced with the same sealed type, no zerk fitting for maintenance. Is this right? Wonder how long these will last? Insight anyone? Thanks.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:42 AM
chemoman
Rookie
Default RE: Upper Ball Joint Replacement

I don't know if I'm still allowed on here since I sold my D last week.
If the00 joints arethe same as the 99 I couldn't find any with grease zerts. I replace all four of mine in the drivewayat the same time.The good news is that the replacement BJ's (he he) bolted in instead of rivots. To replace them is much, much easier.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There isn't a grease nipple on them. I had it done on mine as well (BTW it was a recall) about 20k miles ago, whenever they do go again I'm going with moog greaseable ball joints. I had to replace the lower ball joints and went with the Moogs as well.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:54 PM
20durango00
Rookie

Our D has 47K mi. and this was the recall replacement. They have a rubbergrease bootthat looks kinda crimped up unlike the greaseable ones that kindapoof out after greasing. I hope they greased 'em before installing.Anyway, will get the greasables next time if there is a next time. Thanks..

Old 10-18-2007, 01:22 AM
liveoffroad

Hello I am new to these forums and to the Durango. I just bought a 98 4x4 with 5.9. I think I got taken on this truck, but was wondering if you guys can shed some lite on my problems with my truck. Like your trucks the front supensions sounds like it about to fall off, I gues this is a comin problem with the durango and my understanding ther was a recall on 2000-2003. I was just wondering why not 98-99 models. Also the ABS and brake light came on and brake light and doesn't go off. I have checked the pads and check the computer for code, nothing out of order. last there is a knocking sound from a emission control item in the back by the firewall the is freakin anouying. The truck has 109k on it. Any suggestions.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:40 AM
mtgrady1

yeah just took my truck in to get the front end checked out because it was making a funny noise and ended up having to replace the two upper balljoints. this sounds like it is a common problem in these trucks.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grady I hope you did that under recall. I got quotes from local shops before I knew about the recall and it wasn't cheap.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:48 PM
chemoman
Rookie

ORIGINAL: liveoffroad

Hello I am new to these forums and to the Durango. I just bought a 98 4x4 with 5.9. I think I got taken on this truck, but was wondering if you guys can shed some lite on my problems with my truck. Like your trucks the front supensions sounds like it about to fall off, I gues this is a comin problem with the durango and my understanding ther was a recall on 2000-2003. I was just wondering why not 98-99 models. Also the ABS and brake light came on and brake light and doesn't go off. I have checked the pads and check the computer for code, nothing out of order. last there is a knocking sound from a emission control item in the back by the firewall the is freakin anouying. The truck has 109k on it. Any suggestions.
Yes, this is a hot topic for D owners. I don't know why they didn't include the 98-99's in the recall. Kinda pissed me off though. Have them checked and get them out of there if they're bad. It's possible to do it in the drive way. You'll have to drill out the existing rivots. Putting the new ones back is easy. Also check the control arm bushings. My 99 had a problem with those too. It seams that the exhaust mannifold on the pass side was a little close and would cause premature failure.
Nothing to add on the ABS if the pads and the codes are fineexcept maybe fluid level.

Good luck.
We loved our D, but man it had it's share of problems over the 9 year run.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:57 PM
kjun
Professional

ABS/Brake light could be the speed sensor on the rear diff. Another common problem with the Durangos. But easy to replace and probably about $40.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:28 PM
liveoffroad

Thanks for the suggestions I will try replacing those parts. I hope its just a sensor and not the ABS module.

Quick Reply: Upper Ball Joint Replacement