1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Hello All!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 01:49 PM
Last Of The R/Ts
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello All!

Ok, I am new here. I recently purchased a 2003 Dodge Durango R/T. Loaded, perfect condition, couldn't love my truck more. The only thing I am concerned with is reliability. Although Carfax and a couple other resources have come up with a clean bill of health, what I have read on this site wasn't too promising. I just hope I made a wise investment. I figured by purchasing an '03 I would be better off than most since they would have about 5 years or so to work out the bugs.

By the way, I did drive a new Durango (SLT) but I wasn't too hot about it. First off, I do not like the slanted hood and the all around looks of the truck, I just don't think it has the appeal that the 1st gen. Durangos do. I dunno, just my humble opinion.

I would appreciate any feedback on this matter, particularly from individuals with 5.9L engines.

Old 11-13-2004, 06:23 PM
rockadaous
Professional
Default RE: Hello All!

congrats on your new purchase. welcome to the boards.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:57 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2000 R/T. The only things came across my R/T was Throttle position sensor, heater core, passenger side head gasket and tranny governor actuators. These problems occured throughout the lifespan of 36k within 4 years of ownership of this SUV. Yeah, I don't put too many miles on my SUV. All the problems except for the heater core and Throttle Position sensor was covered under warranty. Since those problems, I hope not to see anymore. But overall, this SUV runs great. I am watching and monitor my ball joints when I change oils, antifreeze flushes, etc. Read so much about their poor durability. But currently at 53k miles on the odometer, my joints are still in perfect condition. But if they go out, I would go with an afermarket replacement. I saw NAPA's replacement ball joints for the Dodge vehicles, and their ball joint design is COMPLETELY different than the OEM version and looks more solidly built too! They even show some cut away internal workings view between theirs and the OEM's. Impressed me alot on that.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Last Of The R/Ts
Record Breaker

Cool. I am glad to hear someone has had luck with a Durango, especially an R/T. Anyone else????

Old 11-26-2004, 11:31 AM
rcs426
Rookie

mines a 98 5.2 trans failed at 90k ( warrenty) heater core 110 k i pay ball joints 126k now has 155k still going strong i maintain the hell out of it .mobile 1 since 3000, miles

Old 12-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Last Of The R/Ts
Record Breaker

Wow, now that is a success story. I have heard a lot about the ball joints going bad on these. Seems like Mopar Man got cheap or something on these......