1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New to D

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:59 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to D

I am a transfer from the Cherokee (98 CLASSIC 4X4)family and over all with the exception of the fuel burn I am pretty satisfied. I am still getting used to the Electronic control on the 4X4 but I guess it is the wave of the future. I am not an offroad person, I mainly use the 4X4 for snow, snow, and well......... snow. Of course my first winter wasn't much of an experience. I purchased in DEC 06, but didnt really get to try out the real 4WD until February and even then only a couple of times.I gotfour new Michelin X-rads/alignment, pads, rotors and a Goodyear Gatorback Brivebeltand started up, took a spring breakroad trip to FL (Approx 2500 mi Round trip) and no major issues. Well not too serious, during the return leg from FL I got a M.I.L and also noticed that the three week old Drive belt started to shred itself. I checked installation, tension, anyhow, got it back to Indy, Auto Zone replaced under warranty, no issues with this one, must have been abad mold or batch of rubberon the first one.

I will say that if you get an M.I.L observe and monitor but don't panic.Mine came back a few more times with the same code, after replacing a few emissions lines and fuel cap, it eventually worked itself out. It is still a little early to decide if I would get another D, I still have a place in my heart for the Grand Cherokee, (now if I could only find a place in my wallet!!!) the big thing I disagree with is the fuel mileage, but that is mostly city. During the INDY-Clearwater trip I managed about 16-18 MPG with A/C on, four adults and normal spring break cargo/luggage. Another trip from Indy to Milwaukee managed about the same with just me, even factoring the Chicago traffic. Iguess it seems to like the highways.

Cruising on the highway is pretty smooth and quiet for a truck platform, I am sure the tires help but road noise is not what I would call abnormal or excessive. Good view, ergonomics, comfortable seats, and gauge position. Most of everything you would normally need is in easy reach, although the center console is IMO excessively deep, try not to put small items in there, it will take a little to search for them. If they would make a floor shifter then that would carry a lot of bonus points towards my next purchase decision. (if any D/C design team are on this forum pay attention.)

Old 11-09-2007, 11:40 PM
86saleen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all your opinions, i will take em all into consideration. weve found a few that were gonna look at this weekend, ill post with more questions, im sure. ok yall thanks again

Old 11-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sixtysixdeuce

One good thing about the 00 R/T, it has a solid front axle instead of CV axles that areon the 01-03 models.
I'm gonna have to see a picture of that, as Durango's were/are IFS from the get go.
My bad, not solid axle. Was thinking of wrong vehicle.