1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

02 Durango red lining

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:34 PM
w70442
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Durango red lining

I took my 02 Durango in for a transmission fuid and filter service and they found a large (6" diameter) snap ring laying in the transmission pan in pieces. They rebuilt the over drive unit.
Now, when I go to pass someone on the highway under full throttle, it downshifts as it should, shifts up once and then when it should shift up into overdrive, it red lines and fails to complete the shift intooverdrive. It does this repeatedly if you keep the pedal to the floor. It never acted this way before they serviced the over drive unit.
The service magager said that it is not supposed to shift into over drive (or 4rth) gear at full throttle. Is this true? As I said, ithasalways gone on and shifted into the highest gear inthe past with out redlining. In fact, I have never before had it redline for any reason. Even at full throttle.
Any info would be very much appreciated.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:21 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 02 Durango red lining

The service manager is a tool, if you are redlining it in 3rd and need OD it needs to shift. Did the shop use ATF+4? If not you will have issues. Take it back and make them do it right this time...

Old 11-21-2007, 05:02 AM
w70442

Thanks for the reply.
I couldn't agree more about the service manager. Not sure what type of fluid they used but I would hope it is the correct Dodge fluid since it is a Dodge dealership.
I did take it back and also noticed that I could reproduce the problem from just about any speed. Even from a dead stop, upon wide open throttle, it would red line and not shift into 2nd. The tech riding with me adjusted the kickdown or what ever cable in the engine compartment and that didn't make any difference so I had to leave it with them yet again.
They called to say that they have ordered a modulator valve and the only one in the country was in California and it was going to take a week to get here to KY. I told themto get it here by next day air and they told me they would but that I would have to pay for the next day air shipping. I told him BS. I've had this thing in here three times because of a simple fluid and filter change. I don't think so!!! They are supposed to be shipping it in next day and paying for it themselves. We'll see what happens Wednesday.
So,as mentioned earlier, the original problem was that they found a snap ring from the over driveunit in the pan in pieces and supposedly had to rebuild the overdrive. That's when this red lining started.I can't see a modulator just coinicidentally going bad. Can you? I think they either screwedit up reassembling it or they don't have it put back together correctly.

[IMG]local://upfiles/78511/BC83351BDED7471F95EC3968EF9CFB4B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-21-2007, 09:32 AM
deerang
All Star

HOLY *%&$ That's a nice lil family you got there. One gorgoes Olds 442!

Old 11-22-2007, 01:29 AM
w70442

Thank you Deerang.
When I came across the Ram Air hood for the Durango on the internet, I knew I had to have it. The hood isone of the things I like most about the 442.I had a set of 20's for the Durango but some sleezball stole them out of my garage while they were off the D for the winter. Joke was on them though. I never could get anyone to balance those D&*mrims/tiresright.[sm=roll.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/78511/EB6B3A650B524BCD91F31379ABE4EE66.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-28-2007, 05:34 AM
w70442

Just thought I'd post the sequence of events I'm dealing with righ now. At this point, it's almost funny how incompetant they are.
2002 Durango Service Issues[/b]
ยท 09-18-07
Took Durango to Cross Chrysler/Jeep to have Central Timer Module replaced for head light flickering problem. $358.90.
Also had Cross perform routine transmission maintenance (fluid and filter change) while there. They found a 6โ€ snap ring laying in pieces in the transmission pan but put the transmission back together with out fixing the problem because they did not have a transmission tech to repair the transmission. Cross charged me $135 for the transmission service even though I still had to take it to another dealership to have the transmission drained and taken back apart to be repaired. They should not have touched the transmission if they could not complete the job. Picked up vehicle 09-19-07. Mileage 65297.

ยท 09-19-07
Picked vehicle up from Cross Chrysler Jeep and took it to Cardinal Dodge to have the transmission snap ring problem repaired under 7 yr / 100,000 mile warranty. I was charged another $100 for the warranty deductable to repair the transmission for the broken snap ring. Cross Chrysler/Jeep should have taken care of this problem when they had the transmission apart or not charged me $135 for the transmission service since it essentially had to be done again by Cardinal Dodge to fix the snap ring problem that Cross found. Picked up vehicle 09-25-07. Mileage 65313.

ยท 11-08-07
While I was attempting to pass a car that was pulling a boat, the Durango repeatedly red lined and failed to shift gears very nearly causing a head on collision.

ยท 11-12-07
Took Durango back to Cardinal Dodge for red lining / failing to shift problem. I explained very clearly that the problem was observable only under full throttle acceleration.

ยท 11-19-07
Service manager said that they adjusted the kick down cable and test drove the vehicle and said the problem was fixed.
Separate issue though ongoing since new, replaced emission hose harness for 442 and 455 emission leak codes. This should be a recall item as I have seen many posts by people with this very same issue on several online Dodge forums. The rubber hose material is either defective or not compatible with this application because it repeatedly splits at the ends of the hoses where they are installed onto the fittings. Harness Repair $146.
They also replaced rear axle bearings and rear end bearings for a whining noise from the rear end. This repair was delayed one day because a part (bearings?) had to be ordered and another day because shims had to be ordered. Mileage 65769. Picked up vehicle 11-19-07. $100 deductable.

ยท 11-19-07
Picked up vehicle and discovered while driving home from the dealership that the red lining and shifting problem had NOT[/i][/b] been fixed.

ยท 11-20-07
Took Durango back to dealership again for continued red lining and failing to shift problem. I took a technician for a test drive to show him the problem. He adjusted the kick down cable again but it still did not fix the problem so I had to leave the vehicle with them again. They said that it needed a transmission modulator and that the part would have to be ordered. They said that the vehicle may be ready to be picked up 11-21-07.

ยท 11-21-07
Vehicle was supposed to be ready today but I did not receive a phone call with an explanation or status.

ยท 11-22-07
Thanksgiving Day

ยท 11-23-07
Still no phone call with status.

ยท 11-26-07
2pm and I still have not received a phone call with status so I called the dealership to find out what was going on. I was told that the modulator had been installed but now the gear shift indicator would not register correctly because the shifter cable had been damaged. I suspect this is because the service manager and transmission tech had been fired on Wed 11-23-07 so technician that installed the modulator and was now working on the vehicle was not factory trained or certified to service transmissions. The damaged shift cable was not in stock and had to be ordered. It was to arrive the next day 11-27-07 and the vehicle was to be ready that day.

ยท 11-27-07
At 4pm, again, I have not received a phone call so I called to check the status and was told that the shift cable that was ordered was a โ€œnew styleโ€ cable and that it required a different mounting bracket which, AGAIN, would have to be ordered and should arrive the next day 11-28-07. I was again told that the truck would be ready by noon 11-28-07.

Total days loss of use to date = 27
Total business days loss of use = 17

Quick Reply: 02 Durango red lining