1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Steering Wheel Popping

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:53 PM
anthonyfear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Popping

Hi All

Got myself a great condition 1998 D with 5.9L Engine. Very happy with it so far.

Got the front end all checked out by mechanic couple of days ago and he gave it the all clear! However I've noticed a 'clicking' or 'popping' noise coming from the steering wheel. Not when turning but only under hard accelleration or breaking (and a little when travelling over rough ground) - you get a 'clunk' noise through the wheel. Sometimes if you wiggle the steering wheel a little from left to right - you can feel the 'click' in the play - othertimes you can't.

I'm guessing this is a steering column issue? Perhaps a worn U-joint? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to pinpoint the problem - or indeed is this a common issue (didn't see anything about it when searching forums).

Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Old 11-19-2007, 10:05 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Steering Wheel Popping

Anthony:

Do a search on worn sector shaft, and also steering column clunk. The early D's were known for this issue. Depending on the year, part runs in the $200-300 range. I believe there is also a TSB for this.

Don

Old 11-20-2007, 12:30 PM
durangeddurango
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Steering Wheel Popping

I had bought one of my d's with a r/t package had the same problem with the clunk. after a closer inspection I had found that the d was in a serious accident(the body shop who did the repair welded the ear for the steering rack back on, was I pissed)any howneedless to say that the ear was not making the noise.I had bought a remanned rack for 165. rather than wasting time try to fix this one.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Popping