1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Fastmopar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Durango

I just bought a DOF Vehicle. Never owned a 4X4 before. Changed all the fluids; both dif's, transfercase, and transmission. This truck has the 5.9L engine, 46RE transmission, 231 transfer case, 205mm front dif, 9.25 LSD rear dif.
Here's my question for any 4x4 guys.

When I shift to 4H or 4L it feels like the brakes are applied. I have to hit the gas to get it to move. In turns, the inside rear wheel spins (makes nice donuts). Is this normal?

Here's my question for any Durango owners.

In cruise control or when trying to maintain a steady speed it feels like the engine actually cuts out periodically. The longer you leave it in cruise the more often it happens. Kind of disconcerting. Do these trucks have TPS problems?

Also the in tank fuel pump is really singing. How long before this poops out?

Thanks,

Jon

Old 11-21-2007, 07:17 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2000 Durango

FMP:

First off, what is a DOF vehicle??

Re the 4x4 mode. Both 4 high and 4 low are for use on loose/low traction surfaces only. You can test it out in sand, snow, dirt, ice..... You get the picture. Operating a 4x4 on hard surfaces places great strain on the transfer case and associated hardware because the T case is trying to force both the front and rear driveshafts to turn at the same speed. Driving straight is not a problem, but when you turn and the inner wheels need to go slower than the outers, then you create a bind at the T case.

Don

Old 11-21-2007, 07:29 PM
OlsenG_360
Professional

as far as the cruise control, sounds like there's a vacuum issue somewhere. i'm pretty sure there's a couple check valves that can go bad & cause the issues you're having. also, this last weekend I hadthe catalytic converter on my Ramstart breaking up & partially clog the exhaust.

i have a vac gauge hooked up in the cab and noticed that thenew massive restriction in the exhaust made the engine work much harder and it maintained 0 vacuum at cruising rpms where usually it would be 10-13 inches of vac, wouldn't let the cruise control or any other vacuum controlled accessories work correctly.

food for thought

Old 11-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Dango85
Rookie

Cruise control: What I have found is that it will depend on what speed you set the cruise control at. If you set a speed that is somewhere near a normal gear shift, it will likely alternate between the two gears as needed (more frequently). If you get just above or below it, the engine will normally stay in relatively the same rev area and shift less often. The other factor affecting all of this is how many hills you climb while cruising. More up-hills naturally equals more down shifting. I would guess that the engine cut-outs are purely transmission up-shifts to the next gear.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Fastmopar

Thanks for the replies. One and all.

DOF = Department of Forestry. I mentioned this because although the DOF trucks get used they are well maintained. They don't want these trucks to die on the side of some mountain.

I don't use the 4X4 on hard surfaces. I was testing the truck after doing the fluid change and wanted to be sure this wheel spin thing didn't indicate a major problem with one of the drive components.

Seems from the reponses that it is normal.

Jon

Old 11-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as your cruise control issue, change out the TPS. Common problem for Durangos.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Fastmopar

Kensai,

Thanks for the tip. I kind of thought it might be the TPS. I threw it out ther to see if someone had another possible answer.

Jon

Quick Reply: 2000 Durango