1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 Durango won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:58 PM
Mndurango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Durango won't start

I have a 98 Durango that won't start, try to turn it over no crank nothing just some clicking from what sounds like the fuse block under the hood. Head lights or dome lights don't dim when you hit the key, but radio goes off and dash lights go off, replaced battery cable ends, and inspected wires didn't see know cracks in the wires, after you shut the key of about five seconds later there is another clicking noise sounds like from the passenger side. Totally confused please help.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: 98 Durango won't start

Bad Battery will do this. These problems are aclassic when the is a problem with conection or battery. Usually it's the battery.

Take it over to Auto Zone and have it checked out. Have them do a load test on it. If everything is alright then go to the conections and then to the starter. But first start at the BATTERY.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this happen occasionally from corrosion on the positive terminal. A little baking soda, water, and a wire brush will clear this issue right up (if it's corrosion).

Old 11-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Mndurango

Ok put new battery in and changed the cable ends, still have the same problem, won't turn over or nothing, still clicking in the fuse/relay block under the hood, sounds almost like one of the relays are clicking, but it seems like ones that shouldn't affect it starting.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:35 AM
noregrets
Rookie

Mn, I had that problem with a clicking in a relay on my Maxima years ago. I'll check with my hubby in the morning and see what we did to fix it. I'm thinking the relay itself was bad, but for the life of me I cannot positively remember.

Ang

Old 02-15-2008, 11:23 AM
browncs63

This is not a question but a solution. Our company runs a 1999 Dodge Durango 5.9 V8, which was having problems starting. We have been online multiple times to see if others had a solution and we found that owners were spending 1000's $ trying to figure the problem out to no avail, replacing part after part.
The PROBLEM:
Drive the Durango shut it off - go to start and would crank only - leave it for a while - come back start right up. Check engine light came on stayed on, threw a P0340 code (according to manual and dealers - no Cam shaft sensor on this model - it was throwing a false code). Little by little problem got worse to point Durango would not start at all. Seemed like it might be factory alarm with engine kill.
OTHERS ONLINE TRIED:
Coil; Crank Sensor; IAC; battery replacement; new distributor cap, rotor and plugs; replacement and/or flash of PCM; Throttle Positioning Sensor; Fuses; amoung other items. Brought to Dodge they could not figure it out.
WE FOUND IT TO BE:
Distributor pickup which duals as a cam shaft sensor. This is located under the distributor cap. A $50.00 part solved the problem.

Quick Reply: 98 Durango won't start