1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

01 DURANGO 2 BROKEN WINDOW SYSTEMS

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:12 PM
JP2083
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 DURANGO 2 BROKEN WINDOW SYSTEMS

CAN ANY ONE HELP! I LIVE IN MINNESOTA I FRIGGIN COLD AND TWICE NOW I WENT TO ROLL DOWNTHE WINDOWAND JUST BEFORE I CAN STOP DOING THAT. POP!!!!! THE WINDOW PULLEY SYSTEM MUST HAVEBROKE.(FRONT PASSANGER ANDREAR DRIVER SEAT)I PULLED THE DOOR APART TRYING TOFIGURE OUT WHERE THIS LITTLE WHITE YELLOWISH HALF MOON THING GOES.DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW THE DURANGO 2001 SLT WINDOW SYSTEMS WORK?
(CHILTON'S DOES NOT
)PICTURES APPRECIATED.THANK YOU!!!

Old 12-03-2007, 11:31 PM
kjun
Professional
Default RE: 01 DURANGO 2 BROKEN WINDOW SYSTEMS

It sounds like the plastic cable guide that goes at the bottom of the regulator rail. More than likely its broken (happens in the cold and the window is froze to the door).

Sorry no pics available but google Durango Power Window regulator and it will give you some idea of that it looks like assembled.Most pics aren't great or detailed at all but it should give you an idea. Also for routing you might pull your drivers door panel and compare. It's not an exact duplicate but pretty close. Basically the window is cable operated. The cable guide probablyis forthe cable that runs from the motor to the bottom of the regulator assy. The bad part is I don't know if you can get the cable guide or not. I've heard they are not available and you need to get a whole new assy (short of hitting a junk yard). They run about $80-$120 for the whole thing. What I did was drill a small hole in the guide, put it where it needed to be and secured it with steel safety wire. I did this with the regulator/motor pulled from the truck.

Last thing is if you hope to try and fix it, do not run you motor with it broken. It will chew up the cables and will tear them up pretty good. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out this thread. I have placed two links ( hopefully they are still good links) to purchase a replacement kit (motor and cable assembly) as no one sells a cable assembly without motor for Chrysler that is. Last time I saw the price, it ran for $79 for the per door kit.

This link is also located in the FAQ questions and answers thread made by Hydrashocker

https://dodgeforum.com/m_945838/tm.htm

I would not recommend getting one from the junkyard as you would not know the condition the cable is in. It can break the next month and you are back to square one and spent the money and time and effort for nothing. Those plastic retainers that hold the cable in place will deterioate over time due to heat and coldand will eventually crumble which is why the steel cable will come off.

Don't know why Chrysler went this route. It may be to save some weight but they should have used metal retainers instead of plastic ones. This issue is very very common upon asian import vehicles such as toyota and nissan. But fortunately for those makers, you can just buy the cable assembly without motor for around $20!! Wished they offered this same solution for Chrysler makes.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:34 AM
a68merc

Since the door panels are fairly easy to get off, I pulled off the door panel of a working window in my durango to see what a good unit looks like. The half moon, or cable guide, was broken on my passenger door. I went to the dealer and they said I could not buy that part alone, it was part of the regulator...$240.00!! So, pull off door panel, remove water prevention plastic, and locate the black window channel that extends from top of door to bottom of door, midway from front to back. At the bottom, there is a square hole. This is where the plastic cable guide fits. However when it breaks, you can either spend the $240 and half a day or do the following: Drill a small hole through the center of the cable guide. Purchase a bolt, nut and two lock washers that fit the hole. The washer needs to be large enough on the backside to take care business. If the cable guide still has some of the old square on the backside (the side facing the interior of the car), then you might need to sheer it off A LITTLE. Don't remove all of it as it keepsthe guidein place. Put the cable guide in place (on the vertical black window channel), insert bolt, nut and washers and tighten...

I am halfway through this task on my Durango, so I can't verify my success. I'm not sure yet if the cable should be threaded through the cable guide before or after fastening it in place. I'm going to try to fasten first and thread second.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:52 AM
JP2083

caution if your window does not roll down in the cold do not force it the cable will get eaten by the motor and you will need to replace all of the window pulley system.

Quick Reply: 01 DURANGO 2 BROKEN WINDOW SYSTEMS